Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Heart of Midlothian

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 5th, 1986, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 30,872
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
Dundee Utd  Heart of Midlothian

None. John Colquhoun (14)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex MacDonald

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
John Holt
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Henry Smith
Walter Kidd
Brian Whittaker
Sandy Jardine
Neil Berry
Craig Levein
John Colquhoun
Kenny Black
Sandy Clark
Gary Mackay
John Robertson

Stuart Beedie
Kevin Gallacher
Iain Jardine
Billy Mackay

Kevin Gallacher for Billy Kirkwood (46)
Stuart Beedie for Eamonn Bannon (85)
Iain Jardine for Gary Mackay

Ian Redford (38)
Billy Thomson (68)
Paul Hegarty (70)
Gary Mackay (11)
Sandy Jardine (27)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 47 apps -
Maurice Malpas 228 apps8 goals
Dave Narey 596 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 557 apps74 goals
Richard Gough 249 apps34 goals
John Holt 360 apps23 goals
Eamonn Bannon 337 apps94 goals
Ian Redford 38 apps8 goals
Billy Kirkwood 377 apps69 goals
Davie Dodds 367 apps148 goals
Paul Sturrock 489 apps156 goals
Stuart Beedie (sub) 58 apps8 goals
Kevin Gallacher (sub) 19 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (23 years 251 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 262 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 281 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 138 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 262 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 351 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Hearts continued their persistent winning ways, notching up their 28th consecutive match without defeat and it was the first half that was mainly responsible for this latest success. There was little doubt that the Tynecastle side held the upper hand in the opening period. Their goal had its origins in their own half when Craig Levein mopped up a United attack. took a return pass from Sandy Jardine. He then pumped a high bait into the heart of the United box, Paul Hegarty nodded the ball clear, but only to John Colquhoun who volleyed the ball over Billy Thomson's out-stretched arms.

Naturally boosted by this breakthrough, Hearts dominated for a spell and went close, particularly when Walter Kidd was sent clear, but his shot went wide. Our best effort in the first half came when Ian Redford got in a header but a Hearts defender deflected it for a comer. Kevin Gallacher replaced Billy Kirkwood after half-time and immediately we almost equalised when Ian Redford sent in a powerful drive from the left but Henry Smith just managed to turn it round the post. The Hearts' 'keeper came to the rescue twice more. Firstly when he foiled Richard Gough with a tremendous save from the full-backs' header and again when he was on the spot to block a well struck shot from Paul Sturrock, following our best move of the match.

It wasn't to be, however, and an equaliser wasn't forthcoming, so Hearts booked a date with Aberdeen in the final.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet