Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 4th Round Replay
Wednesday, February 19th, 1986, 7:30 PM at Rugby Park
Attendance: 9,054
Referee: Don McVicar (Carluke)
Kilmarnock Dundee Utd

None. Paul Sturrock (59)

Team Managers
Eddie Morrison Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan McCulloch
Stuart McLean
Ally McLeod
Alan Robertson
Paul Martin
Paul Clarke
Tom McCafferty
Bobby McConville
Eddie McNab
Sam McGivern
Ian Bryson
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
John Holt
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Kevin Gallacher

Rashid Sarwar
Scott Cuthbertson
Dave Beaumont
Ralph Milne

Scott Cuthbertson for Sam McGivern (72) Ralph Milne for Kevin Gallacher (89)

Paul Clarke (71) Maurice Malpas (24)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 39 apps -
Dave Narey 588 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 220 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 549 apps74 goals
Richard Gough 241 apps32 goals
John Holt 353 apps23 goals
Eamonn Bannon 329 apps92 goals
Ian Redford 32 apps8 goals
Davie Dodds 359 apps145 goals
Paul Sturrock 482 apps154 goals
Kevin Gallacher 12 apps2 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 261 apps73 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 93 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 217 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 328 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 93 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 217 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 137 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


As anticipated this replay proved to be tricky as the Rugby Park playing surface. The determined home side produced the best move of the match in the early stages and ended McCafferty forcing Billy Thomson to dive full stop his 20 yarder. Our best chance of the opening half came in the 35th minute when Maurice Malpas and Paul Sturrock combined for the full-back to fire in a shot which was blocked by a prostrate Killie defender. The half ended with Killie on the ascendancy and only Billy Thompson, at full-stretch, prevented McGivern chipping in the opening goal.

That close call obviously prompted us into action because the early part of the second half was dominated by us. Kevin Gallacher struck the bar from a cut-back by Davie Dodds. A goal was only delayed four minutes. From Ian Redford's corner, Davie Dodds fired in a shot which was blocked and Paul Sturrock rammed the ball home from very close in. We could easily have extended our lead had Alan McCulloch not brought off some superlative saves from Kevin Gallacher, Eamonn Bannon and Ian Redford. Having said that, Billy Thomson only just managed to turn a deflected shot round the post which was virtually the home side's only threat of the second half.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet