Dundee Utd 4 - 0 Hibernian

League - Premier Division
Saturday, February 8th, 1986, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,504
Referee: Sandy Roy (Aberdeen)
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Eamonn Bannon (pen.) (23)
Tommy Coyne (52)
Tommy Coyne (59)
Kevin Gallacher (83)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Blackley

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Richard Gough
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Ian Redford
Eamonn Bannon
Tommy Coyne
Kevin Gallacher
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Alan Rough
Alan Sneddon
Iain Munro
Gordon Chisholm
Mark Fulton
Gordon Hunter
Paul Kane
Eddie May
Steve Cowan
Colin Harris
John Collins

John Holt
Ralph Milne
Gordon Rae
Joe Tortolano

John Holt for Richard Gough (45)
Joe Tortolano for Colin Harris (46)
Gordon Rae for John Collins (60)

None. Paul Kane (48)
Steve Cowan (60)
Gordon Chisholm (75)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 37 apps -
Richard Gough 239 apps32 goals
Dave Narey 586 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 218 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 547 apps74 goals
Ian Redford 30 apps8 goals
Eamonn Bannon 327 apps92 goals
Tommy Coyne 59 apps12 goals
Kevin Gallacher 10 apps2 goals
Davie Dodds 357 apps145 goals
Paul Sturrock 480 apps152 goals
John Holt (sub) 351 apps23 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 206 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 119 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 206 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 156 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


We recorded a convincing win over Hibs and the second half performance provided some of the best football seen at Tannadice this season. There was little evidence of an overwhelming United win in the early stages.

Hibs went into attack from the outset but the best chance of those first few minutes fell to Paul Sturrock, but the striker was twice denied by Alan Rough. Strong claims for a penalty were made by the United players when Kevin Gallacher appeared to be tripped by Iain Munro. but the referee failed to confirm the appeals. In the 23rd minute, however, another penalty claim met with greater sympathy. Paul Sturrock shrugged off the attentions of the Hibs' defence but Eddie May pulled him down. From the spot Eamonn Bannon sent Alan Rough the wrong way to open the scoring.

A series of United raids failed to bring further goals but goals followed quickly in the second half. Paul Sturrock forced a save from Alan Rough, but when Eamonn Bannon slung over the resultant corner, Paul Hegarty met it at the far post and Tommy Coyne drove the ball home. Seven minutes later and the outcome was sealed with a second goal for Tommy Coyne. Eamonn Bannon's shot from an acute angle was blocked by Rough. The ball broke to Maurice Malpas and his low drive from the edge of the box was turned in by the United striker as Hibs appealed for off-side.

Playing controlled possession football, United were in complete control and it looked as though a fourth goal was on the cards when Ian Redford was brought down by Chisholm to earn a second penalty. This time, however, Alan Rough read Eamonn Bannon's intentions from the spot, palming the ball to safety. A fourth goal seemed inevitable and it was a case of saving the best for last. Kevin Gallacher picked up the ball just outside the box. He flicked it over a wall of Hibs' defenders, rounded them, and went on to control the ball before sliding it past the advancing Rough to earn rapturous applause. Had it not been for Alan Rough the final total could easily have been doubled.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet