Dundee Utd 4 - 0 Greenock Morton

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Saturday, January 25th, 1986, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,938
Referee: Kenny Hope (Clarkston)
Dundee Utd  Greenock Morton

Tommy Coyne (16)
Ian Redford (19)
Eamonn Bannon (pen.) (73)
Tommy Coyne (80)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Allan McGraw

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Tommy Coyne
David Wyllie
Alex O'Hara
Jimmy Holmes
Jim Hunter
John Boag
Martin Doak
Lex Richardson
Tommy Turner
Dougie Robertson
John McNeil
Jim Simpson

John Holt
Jimmy Page
Ian Clinging
Joe Coyle

None. Ian Clinging for John McNeill (55)
Joe Coyle for Tommy Turner (74)

None. Jim Simpson (64)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 35 apps -
Richard Gough 237 apps32 goals
Maurice Malpas 216 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 545 apps73 goals
Dave Narey 584 apps36 goals
Eamonn Bannon 325 apps91 goals
Ian Redford 28 apps8 goals
Ralph Milne 259 apps73 goals
Tommy Coyne 57 apps10 goals
Paul Sturrock 478 apps152 goals
Davie Dodds 355 apps145 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Tommy Coyne (23 years 78 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 192 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 288 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jimmy Page (21 years 93 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 192 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 200 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Tommy Coyne reached 10 goals for the Club.
Tommy Coyne reached 10 goals for the Club.

We gained a relatively comfortable passage to the third round with two goals in the first 20 minutes making the going very much uphill for the First Division visitors. Hero of the afternoon from the home viewpoint was striker Tommy Coyne who scored twice, his first of the season, and was heavily involved in the creation of the other couple of goals. A little over quarter of an hour had elapsed when clever play on the left involving Sturrock and Bannon ended with Eamonn cutting the ball back from the bye-line to allow Tommy Coyne to net. The centre was, shortly afterwards, up-ended on the edge of the box. Ian Redford stepped up to take the free-kick and curled the ball past the defensive wall and the 'keeper.

Just as in the first half the two second half goals came close together. Tommy Coyne, chased a Paul Sturrock pass into the box and the joint attentions of O'Hara and Boag earned a penalty which Eamonn Bannon converted. The final counter came from another fine move. Ralph Milne's run from the halfway line and low cross into the box was picked up by Tommy Coyne who scored.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet