Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Dundee

League - Premier Division
Saturday, December 28th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 14,869
Referee: Jim Duncan (Gorebridge)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

None. None.

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Beaumont
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Kevin Gallacher
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Bobby Geddes
Bobby Glennie
Tosh McKinlay
Albert Kidd
Jim Smith
Jim Duffy
Rab Shannon
John Brown
Graham Harvey
Bobby Connor
Ray Stephen

Jimmy Page
Gordon McLeod
Colin Hendry
Stuart Rafferty

Jimmy Page for Kevin Gallacher (69)

Ian Redford (22)
John Holt (65)
Eamonn Bannon (73)
Jim Smith (26)
Tosh McKinlay (53)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 31 apps -
Dave Narey 580 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 212 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 541 apps72 goals
John Holt 348 apps23 goals
Dave Beaumont 40 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 321 apps87 goals
Ian Redford 24 apps6 goals
Kevin Gallacher 5 apps -
Davie Dodds 351 apps142 goals
Paul Sturrock 474 apps152 goals
Jimmy Page (sub) 5 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 40 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 164 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 219 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (18 years 122 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 164 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 200 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


After sterling displays against both Aberdeen and Celtic, Dundee proved by far the sternest of the trio of visitors to Tannadice. The Dark Blues, particularly in the first half, controlled the midfield in a match which only produced a reasonable crop of goal-mouth incidents in the last half hour. Certainly Dundee enjoyed the better of the first half with Albert Kidd just missing a Jim Smith header and then bringing out a fine save from Billy Thomson with a near post header. By way of reply Ian Redford popped up to head a cross just past the post.

After an hour the pace of the game hotted up with both sides creating a greater number of chances. John Holt brought out a fine save from Geddes, and then excelled himself when he finger-tipped a curling effort from Eamonn Bannon round the post. At the other end, Billy Thomson was stretched by a Harvey shot, and shortly afterwards, Maurice Malpas headed off the line. Both sides continued to make chances, with Davie Dodds heading just over before Maurice Malpas once again made a goal-line clearance. Eamonn Bannon threads through-ball to Paul Sturrock whose final shot was only just blocked by Jim Duffy. Davie Dodds then went close with a header, and the final act of this exciting game came when Ray Stephen's lob landed on the top of the bar before bouncing to safety.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet