Neuchatel Xamax 3 - 1 Dundee Utd

(After extra time)
UEFA Cup - 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, December 11th, 1985, 7:30 PM at Stade De La Maladiere
Attendance: 17,400
Referee: Jose Rosa Dos Santos (Portugal)
Neuchatel Xamax Dundee Utd

Carsten Neilsen (38)
Heinz Hermann (56)
Carsten Neilsen (108)
Ian Redford (16)

Team Managers
Gilbert Gress Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Karl Engel
Peter Kuffer
Claude Ryf
Tiziano Salvi
Philippe Perret
Don Givens
Ruedi Elsener
Heinz Hermann
Robert Luthi
Ulrich Stielike
Carsten Nielsen
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Beaumont
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Tommy Coyne

Joel Corminboeuf
Pierre Thevenaz
Mauricio Jacobacci
Patrice Mottiez
Stephane Forestier
Scott Thomson
John Holt
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher
Stuart Beedie

Stephane Forestier for Tiziano Salvi (25)
Patrice Mottiez for Ruedi Elsener (72)
John Clark for Tommy Coyne (62)
Kevin Gallacher for Ralph Milne (112)

Robert Luthi (100) Eamonn Bannon (31)
Billy Kirkwood (62)
Maurice Malpas (101)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 27 apps -
Paul Hegarty 537 apps72 goals
Dave Beaumont 39 apps2 goals
Dave Narey 576 apps36 goals
Richard Gough 230 apps32 goals
Maurice Malpas 208 apps8 goals
Ralph Milne 257 apps73 goals
Eamonn Bannon 317 apps85 goals
Ian Redford 20 apps6 goals
Billy Kirkwood 372 apps69 goals
Tommy Coyne 54 apps8 goals
John Clark (sub) 44 apps8 goals
Kevin Gallacher (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (22 years 7 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 147 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 7 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 23 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (31 years 147 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 1 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Kevin Gallacher(Signed September 2nd, 1983)


The return leg with the Swiss brought two new European experiences to United. With the sides locked at 3-3 on aggregate at the end of normal time, we went into an extra time situation for the first time ever. It was during that additional 30 minutes that we suffered another novelty when the Portuguese referee awarded a goal when the ball clearly hadn't entered the net.

Yet this tie shouldn't really have had to go into extra time because it was United who got off to a flying start with an early goal to extend the slender lead of the first leg. Eamonn Bannon skipped past a defender on the left before sending over a cross which Ian Redford skilfully directed past Engel's outstretched arm. Fortified by that goal and Xamax rarely threatening, United looked well on the way to the quarter finals. However, a break on the right by Elsener led to Dane Carsten Nielsen heading the ball in at the near post.

After the interval, Tommy Coyne, Ralph Milne and Billy Kirkwood all had chances but none was taken and Xamax struck again. A short free kick to Heinz Hermann allowed the midfielder to crack home a 20 yarder just inside Billy Thomson's left hand post. There was no further scoring, even although John Clark had an excellent chance to kill off the Swiss. So it was into extra time and three minutes into the second period of extra time came the controversy. Carsten Nielsen cracked a shot off the underside of the bar which was ultimately collected by Billy Thomson but amazingly the referee, with no indication from his better placed linesman awarded a goal to k.o. United.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info