Dundee Utd 2 - 2 Hibernian

League - Premier Division
Saturday, October 5th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,951
Referee: Tommy Muirhead (Stenhousemuir)
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Maurice Malpas (28)
Maurice Malpas (58)
Alan Sneddon (22)
Steve Cowan (86)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Blackley

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Gary McGinnis
Ian Redford
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Davie Dodds
Tommy Coyne
Alan Rough
Alan Sneddon
Iain Munro
Paul Kane
Gordon Rae
Gordon Hunter
Ralph Callachan
Gordon Chisholm
Steve Cowan
Gordon Durie
Joe McBride

Dave Beaumont
Billy Kirkwood
Colin Harris
Mark Fulton

Billy Kirkwood for Ian Redford (85)
Stevie Fulton for Iain Munro (60)
Colin Harris for Ralph Callachan (73)

None. Gordon Durie (38)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 687 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 565 apps36 goals
John Holt 336 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 196 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 525 apps68 goals
Gary McGinnis 24 apps1 goal
Ian Redford 9 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 308 apps82 goals
Ralph Milne 246 apps72 goals
Davie Dodds 337 apps137 goals
Tommy Coyne 49 apps8 goals
Billy Kirkwood (sub) 362 apps68 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gary McGinnis (21 years 355 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 267 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 90 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 305 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 267 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 299 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the second week running our Premier League fixture ended amidst a blaze of controversy, and once again the outcome robbed us of a point. After falling behind, our patched up eleven came back strongly and man of the match Maurice Malpas put us ahead with his first brace for the club. That looked to be enough to give us victory when Steve Cowan bulleted in a late equaliser.

However, with only a couple of minutes left, a shot from Ralph Milne took a deflection to completely wrong foot Alan Rough, but a raised linesman's flag quickly curtailed celebrations of a United win.

Hibs had taken the lead through a sweetly struck volley by Alan Sneddon, after surviving early United pressure. Six minutes later Ian Redford's shot from an Eamonn Bannon cross was blocked, but Maurice Malpas followed up to equalise.

United then dominated the game with Alan Rough seeing plenty of action, but even he was beaten when Maurice Malpas was once again on hand to steer an Eamonn Bannon cut back into the net. Unfortunately events in the last five minutes dictated we weren't to collect two deserved points.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet