St Mirren 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, September 28th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Love Street
Attendance: 4,408
Referee: David Syme (Glasgow)
St Mirren Dundee Utd

Gardner Spiers (pen) (90) None.

Team Managers
Alex Miller Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Campbell Money
Tommy Wilson
Derek Hamilton
Jim Rooney
Peter Godfrey
Stevie Clark
Tony Fitzpatrick
Neil Cooper
Frank McGarvey
Brian Gallacher
Gardner Spiers
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Beaumont
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Stuart Beedie

Kenny McDowall
Peter Mackie
Gordon McLeod
Ralph Milne

None. Ralph Milne for Stuart Beedie (68)

None. Eamonn Bannon (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 686 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 523 apps68 goals
John Holt 334 apps23 goals
Dave Beaumont 34 apps2 goals
Maurice Malpas 194 apps6 goals
Dave Narey 563 apps36 goals
Eamonn Bannon 306 apps82 goals
Billy Kirkwood 361 apps68 goals
Davie Dodds 336 apps137 goals
Paul Sturrock 459 apps150 goals
Stuart Beedie 51 apps8 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 244 apps71 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 298 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 358 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (18 years 31 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 345 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A goalless draw looked to be on the cards when this game burst into controversy. Hamish McAlpine collected a pass back, Frank McGarvey challenged and in clearing the ball upfield, Hamish was adjudged to have fouled McGarvey. The referee waved play on, but a linesman's flag remained raised and following consultation with the touchline official, a penalty was awarded. Gardner Spiers, with the last kick of the game, struck his spot kick just past Hamish to take both points. Prior to this bizarre finale, the game had been patchy, good in parts, but at times both sides contrived a series of misplaced passes. United started the match well, pressurising Saints. However, Frank McGarvey came closest to scoring with a stinging first-time shot which cannoned off the near post. At the other end, Billy Kirkwood hit a volley just over and then was denied a goal by a superb one-handed save by Money.

Saints had most of the play in the second half and Hamish McAlpine made a tremendous diving save from McGarvey. Gallacher had a great opportunity tout Stuart Beedie blocked his delayed shot. Then, as a point looked to be on its way to Tannadice, came the controversial ending.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet