Dundee Utd 2 - 0 Dundee

League - Premier Division
Saturday, August 24th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 13,736
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Mascot: Liam Sullivan
Dundee Utd  Dundee

Stuart Beedie (27)
Paul Sturrock (52)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
Dave Beaumont
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Stuart Beedie
Bobby Geddes
Rab Shannon
Bobby Glennie
Stuart Rafferty
Jim Smith
Jim Duffy
Ross Jack
Jim Brown
Graeme Harvey
Bobby Connor
Ray Stephen

Gary McGinnis
Ralph Milne
John McCormack
Albert Kidd

Ralph Milne for Paul Sturrock (70)
Albert Kidd for Ross Jack (59)
John McCormack for Jim Brown (65)

Richard Gough (28)
Graeme Harvey (55)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 678 apps3 goals
Maurice Malpas 186 apps6 goals
Dave Narey 555 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 515 apps68 goals
Richard Gough 210 apps28 goals
Dave Beaumont 30 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 299 apps80 goals
Ian Redford 2 apps -
Davie Dodds 328 apps137 goals
Paul Sturrock 452 apps146 goals
Stuart Beedie 43 apps8 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 239 apps68 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 263 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 225 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 92 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 263 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 225 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 223 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The first derby match of the season produced one of the less exciting matches of recent years. However, in the end there was no doubting that United deserved their first League victory of the season. The warning bells were sounded for Dundee as early as the fourth minute. A mistake by newcomer Jim Duffy, allowed Paul Sturrock to break clear. His route to goal, however, was interrupted by Jim Smith just outside the box. Ian Redford's powerful free-kick was just wide of the target. United eventually went ahead in the 27th minute, Davie Dodds nodded down a cross to Stuart Beedie and his first-time shot beat Bobby Geddes and entered the net via the left-hand post. This gave United encouragement and from then until half-time they were in total command.

Seven minutes into the second half came the decisive goal and the build-up and finish was classical. Ian Redford started the move with a through pass to Stuart Beedie. Stuart spurted to the bye-line, and crossed for the onrushing Paul Sturrock to hammer the ball low past Geddes. After Paul Sturrock limped out of the game, it was Dundee who took the initiative, but they rarely threatened our two goal lead.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet