Clyde 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 4th Round
Wednesday, January 16th, 2008, 7:45 PM at Broadwood
Attendance: 1,550
Referee: Charlie Richmond
Clyde Dundee Utd

None. Barry Robson (57)

Team Managers
Colin Hendry Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Craig McKeown
David Hutton
Chris Higgins
Neil McGregor
Steven Masterton
Michael McGowan
Douglas Imrie
Christian Smith
Ruari MacLennan
Gary Arbuckle
Kevin Bradley
Euan McLean
Lee Wilkie
Danny Grainger
Darren Dods
SeŠn Dillon
Willo Flood
Barry Robson
Mark Kerr
Morgaro Gomis
Jordan Robertson
Noel Hunt

Dusan Bestvina
Marvyn Wilson
Roddy MacLennan
Peter Cherry
David McGowan
Lukasz Załuska
Craig Conway
Danny Swanson
David Robertson
Eric Odhiambo

David McGowan for Steven Masterton (72) Eric Odhiambo for Jordan Robertson (71)

Chris Higgins (19)
Christian Smith (45)
Lee Wilkie (33)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Euan McLean (GK) 7 apps -
SeŠn Dillon 41 apps1 goal
Lee Wilkie 36 apps3 goals
Danny Grainger 3 apps -
Darren Dods 26 apps1 goal
Willo Flood 24 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 164 apps34 goals
Mark Kerr 168 apps5 goals
Morgaro Gomis 37 apps -
Jordan Robertson 18 apps4 goals
Noel Hunt 55 apps23 goals
Eric Odhiambo (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jordan Robertson (19 years 343 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (32 years 231 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 326 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Eric Odhiambo (18 years 253 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (32 years 231 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 347 days
Domestic Players:8 (50.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A solitary goal was enough to see United edge past Clyde into the fifth round of the Scottish Cup after a game which was high on perspiration, but largely lacking in inspiration on a dead surface. One moment of magic from Barry Robson gave United the deserved break-through, with the visitors having the bulk of the few goal mouth chances created.

With United lining up 4-5-1/4-3-3 and Clyde playing 3-5-2, the early stages saw the visitors struggling to string passes together in a congested midfield. Clyde started brightly, but the closest they came to scoring was directly from an Imrie corner, which Gomis cleared at the front post.

The visitors took control and the first clear sight at goal came Unitedís way on 20th minute. Hunt had to rush a shot from eight yards allowing David Hutton to dive low to his right and tip the ball behind for a corner. Soon after, Huntís downward header from Dillonís cross was not far wide. Robertson thought he had broken the deadlock on 37 minutes with a cool finish past Hutton, but he had already been flagged for a marginal offside.

On the stroke of half time Flood should have given United the lead Ė but he headed a fine in-swinging Robson cross wide from just six yards.

McLean pulled off a smart save from Arbuckle early in the second half. However, the game soon settled into the same pattern as the first Ė United in control but struggling to break down a well organised Clyde. On 57 minutes Barry Robson seemed to give up on trying to break down the hostsí defence, and instead opted to by-pass it altogether. Collecting a cross-field pass from Noel Hunt, the captain drove a wonderful swerving shot high past Hutton into the corner of the net from 35 yards.

Clyde continued to work hard, but United looked comfortable at the back and created a couple of half-chances themselves, with Robson testing Hutton with two free-kicks.

A late surge by the hosts saw a 20 yard McKeown volley well-held by McLean, and McGowan blasted wide from the edge of the box. But it was too little too late for the Bully Wee.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet