St Mirren 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

(After extra time)
Scottish Cup - Final
Saturday, May 16th, 1987, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 46,782
Referee: Kenny Hope (Clarkston)
St Mirren Dundee Utd

Ian Ferguson (111) None.

Team Managers
Alex Smith Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Campbell Money
Tommy Wilson
Derek Hamilton
Billy Abercromby
David Winnie
Neale Cooper
Frank McGarvey
Ian Ferguson
Kenny McDowall
Brian Hamilton
Paul Lambert
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
John Clark
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
Paul Sturrock

Ian Cameron
Tony Fitpatrick
Paul Hegarty
Kevin Gallacher

Ian Cameron for Kenny McDowall (74)
Tony Fitzpatrick for Paul Lambert (88)
Kevin Gallacher for Paul Sturrock (76)
Paul Hegarty for Ian Redford (116)

None. Ian Redford
Iain Ferguson

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 113 apps -
Dave Narey 655 apps36 goals
John Holt 396 apps24 goals
Maurice Malpas 290 apps9 goals
John Clark 97 apps14 goals
Eamonn Bannon 399 apps103 goals
Ian Redford 101 apps21 goals
Jim McInally 50 apps2 goals
Dave Bowman 38 apps -
Iain Ferguson 50 apps28 goals
Paul Sturrock 544 apps163 goals
Paul Hegarty (sub) 600 apps79 goals
Kevin Gallacher (sub) 80 apps19 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Clark (22 years 241 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 345 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 341 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 179 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 303 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 326 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Iain Ferguson played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Jim McInally played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

Our fourth Cup Final appearance in 13 years ended as all the previous ones - in defeat, but this was perhaps the bitterest pill of all to swallow. In truth we never really played well enough to deserve to win the Cup for the first time in our history, but again a controversial offside decision at Hampden was of crucial significance.

A game of few chances had gone into extra-time, and at the beginning of the second period, we looked to be on the way to victory. Ian Redford, having taken up a good position on the left, made a superb run before crossing low into the middle, the on rushing Kevin Gallacher missed the ball, but Iain Ferguson following up didn't and crashed the ball into the net. Jubilation turned to total frustration when a linesman's flag indicated that Kevin Gallacher's momentum had taken him into an offside position on the goal line and the referee chalked off the goal.

It was so reminiscent of Paul Sturrock's disallowed goal in the 1981 League Cup Final, and the roof fell in for United supporters nine minutes from the end of extra-time when Saints' Ian Ferguson broke clear and hammered a low shot past the advancing Billy Thomson and won the Cup.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet