Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Hamilton Academical

League - Premier Division
Tuesday, April 28th, 1987, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 7,244
Referee: Jim McGilvray (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Hamilton Academical

Eamonn Bannon (38)
John Clark (67)
Hugh Burns (28)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Lambie

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Gordon McLeod
Jim McInally
Billy Kirkwood
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock
Rikki Ferguson
Brian Martin
Adrian Sprott
Willie Jamieson
Mark Fulton
Alex Taylor
Hugh Burns
Kevin McKee
Jerry Phillips
Steve Clarke
John Pelosi

Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
John Mailer
Gerry Collins

Iain Ferguson for Paul Sturrock (65)
Dave Bowman for John Clark (84)
John Mailer for John Pelosi (76)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 111 apps -
Paul Hegarty 598 apps79 goals
John Holt 393 apps24 goals
Dave Narey 652 apps36 goals
Eamonn Bannon 396 apps103 goals
Gordon McLeod 11 apps -
Jim McInally 47 apps2 goals
Billy Kirkwood 393 apps69 goals
John Clark 92 apps14 goals
Kevin Gallacher 77 apps18 goals
Paul Sturrock 541 apps163 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 33 apps -
Iain Ferguson (sub) 48 apps28 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (19 years 243 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 285 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 19 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (19 years 243 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 285 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 210 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Victory over Hamilton edges us into third place in the league, but at the same time officially consigned Hamilton to relegation.

Accies had sportingly applauded us onto the park, but found us in less charitable mood on the field, despite the absence of Ian Redford and Maurice Malpas, whilst leading scorer Iain Ferguson was only a substitute.

The crowd of over 7,244, boosted by many taking advantage of the free voucher, which was part of the UEFA Cup Semi-Final tie with Borussia, saw United fall behind to Accies against the run of play in the 28th minute. A moment of hesitancy in the heart of the Tannadice defence allowed Hugh Burns to stroke the ball into an empty net.

Stung into action, we stormed back and five minutes later we spurned a golden opportunity to equalise. Jamieson pushed Hegarty in the box, but John Clark, operating as a striker, saw his shot and follow-up effort twice acrobatically saved by Ferguson in the Accies goal. John was then unfortunate to see a header strike the post. However, John's luck turned when his long through ball found Eamonn Bannon on the left, Eamonn flashed past Martin to the bye-line and, instead of cutting the ball back, unexpectedly crashed the ball past Ferguson from the extremely narrow angle.

McKee squandered an easy chance for Accies four minutes after the break, and in the 67th minute we took the lead. John Holt captured the ball in midfield, fed Eamonn Bannon on the left and his perfect cross was headed in by John Clark running in at the far post. Although almost totally dominant in the last 20 minutes or so, we almost dropped a point had Billy Thomson not made such a good save from a McKee shot.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet