Dundee 2 - 3 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 11th, 1987, 2:00 PM at Tynecastle Park
Attendance: 13,319
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Dundee Dundee Utd

Tommy Coyne (35)
Keith Wright (41)
Iain Ferguson (29)
Iain Ferguson (46)
Paul Hegarty (66)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bobby Geddes
Stewart Forsyth
Tosh McKinlay
Rab Shannon
Jim Smith
Jim Duffy
Stuart Rafferty
John Brown
Ross Jack
Tommy Coyne
Keith Wright
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
Paul Sturrock

Bobby Glennie
Ian Angus
Billy Kirkwood
Kevin Gallacher

Bobby Glennie for Tosh McKinlay (84)
Ian Angus for Ross Jack (84)

Keith Wright (24)
Ross Jack (44)
Jim Duffy (80)
Dave Narey (48)
Ian Redford (50)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 106 apps -
Paul Hegarty 593 apps79 goals
John Holt 389 apps24 goals
Dave Narey 647 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 286 apps9 goals
Eamonn Bannon 391 apps102 goals
Ian Redford 95 apps19 goals
Jim McInally 42 apps2 goals
Dave Bowman 28 apps -
Iain Ferguson 43 apps25 goals
Paul Sturrock 538 apps163 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Bowman (23 years 37 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 268 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 278 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 144 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 268 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 96 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Iain Ferguson scored for the 25th time for the Club.
Iain Ferguson scored for the 25th time for the Club.

Cup semi-finals by reputation are nervy affairs, but perhaps the fact that this was a Dundee derby, albeit played in unfamiliar surroundings, allowed both sides to overcome any inhibitions. The Tangerines started off well but survived a hectic spell of pressure, during which Billy Thomson pulled off the first of three quality saves, before hitting back to take the lead. John Holt was the architect, dragging the ball deep into Dundee's half before releasing a perfect pass to Iain Ferguson, who teed-up the ball before sending a crashing right foot shot past a helpless Bobby Geddes. Dundee powered their way back into the game with Tommy Coyne very much involved in giving the Dark Blues an interval lead. He equalised by slotting in a cross at the far post from a narrow angle and six minutes later curled over a cross which Keith Wrlght headed in via the back of Ross Jack.

Immediately after the interval United won control of the midfield and this was to prove the deciding factor in the outcome. A highly intelligent piece of play on the right by Jim McInally and Dave Bowman opened up the way for Iain Ferguson to slot in his second goal to square the game. Shortly afterwards a free-kick by Paul Sturrock was headed in by Paul Hegarty to take us to Hampden on May 16, but not before two magnificent saves by Thomson, both from Brown free-kicks, were required before that became a fact.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info