Dundee Utd 2 - 2 Forfar Athletic

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Saturday, March 14th, 1987, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 7,885
Referee: Jim Duncan (Gorebridge)
Dundee Utd  Forfar Athletic

Maurice Malpas (43)
Iain Ferguson (pen.) (90)
John Clark (44)
Kenny MacDonald (54)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Henry Hall

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Jim McInally
Eamonn Bannon
Iain Ferguson
Paul Sturrock
Kevin Gallacher
Stewart Kennedy
Raymond Lorimer
Alex Hamill
Rab Morris
Phil Smith
Ian McPhee
Kenny Ward
Craig Brewster
John Clark
Bobby Cormack
Kenny MacDonald

John Clark
Paul Kinnaird
Mark Bennett
Billy Bennett

John Clark for Billy Kirkwood (63)
Mark Bennett for Craig Brewster (80)

Paul Hegarty (63)
Bobby Cormack (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 102 apps -
Paul Hegarty 586 apps78 goals
Dave Narey 641 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 279 apps9 goals
Ian Redford 88 apps18 goals
Billy Kirkwood 388 apps69 goals
Jim McInally 36 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 386 apps102 goals
Iain Ferguson 37 apps21 goals
Paul Sturrock 533 apps163 goals
Kevin Gallacher 66 apps18 goals
John Clark (sub) 82 apps11 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 116 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 240 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 102 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 116 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 240 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 138 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The Scottish Cup has been littered with acts of giant killing this season and few in the crowd would have doubted they were about to witness yet another shock. Forfar had taken the lead early in the second half and despite a late onslaught on the Forfar goal, a united equaliser just didn't look as though it was going to materialise. Then in one last fling a Kevin Gallacher header was handled on the line by sky blues John Clark and Iain Ferguson saved our bacon from the penalty spot.

Although we were on top for most of the first half a goalless half-time conclusion looked on the cards. Then a four man move opened the way for Maurice Malpas on the overlap and Maurice's low shot went just inside Kennedy's right hand post. Within a couple of minutes Forfar had equalised. Following a long free-kick from Hamill the ball broke to John Clark who hammered the ball low past Billy Thomson.

Early in the second half Iain Ferguson struck the underside of the bar from the edge of the box. A goal wasn't long delayed, but unfortunately it was at the wrong end! Cormack made a run down the right on the break and crossed for Kenny MacDonald to smash the ball high into the net. That signalled the start of increasingly frenzied United attacks, and when a Paul Sturrock lob was tipped over for a corner in the dying minutes the cause appeared lost. However at the last gasp Kevin Gallacher got in a header which John Clark handled on the line and to the great relief of the United support, Iain Ferguson sent Kennedy the wrong way from the spot, with virtually the last kick of the game.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet