Brechin City 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 4th Round
Saturday, February 21st, 1987, 3:00 PM at Glebe Park
Attendance: 3,400
Referee: Andrew Waddell (Edinburgh)
Brechin City Dundee Utd

None. Kevin Gallacher (69)

Team Managers
John Ritchie Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Derek Neilson
David Watt
Ernie Scrimgeour
Bobby Brown
Gregor Stevens
Charlie Adam
Billy Gallacher
Ken Taylor
Danny Powell
Doug Scott
Gordon Lees
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
John Holt
Dave Narey
Ian Redford
Paul Kinnaird
Jim McInally
Billy Kirkwood
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher
Iain Ferguson

John Bourke
Kenny Lyall
Gary McGinnis
Paul Sturrock

John Bourke for Charlie Adam (81) Paul Sturrock for Iain Ferguson (15)

Doug Scott (35)
Ken Taylor (75)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 97 apps -
Maurice Malpas 274 apps8 goals
John Holt 379 apps23 goals
Dave Narey 636 apps36 goals
Ian Redford 83 apps18 goals
Paul Kinnaird 7 apps -
Jim McInally 31 apps2 goals
Billy Kirkwood 387 apps69 goals
John Clark 77 apps11 goals
Kevin Gallacher 61 apps16 goals
Iain Ferguson 32 apps20 goals
Paul Sturrock (sub) 528 apps163 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 95 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 185 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 95 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 261 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Struggling to avoid the drop into Division Two, were our second First Division opponents in the Cup this season, and they proved equally as tough a nut to crack as Airdrie had in the previous round. Playing with the advantage of the slope in the first half, the Brechin defence were subjected to heavy pressure, though last line of defence Derek Neilson in goal ó was seldom troubled. A procession of corners was our only tangible reward with one exception. On the half hour mark, Jim McInally sent Iain Ferguson, his low drive was parried by Neilson and John Holt bundled the ball over the line. A mysteriously raised linesmanís flag, however, cancelled out the score.

The second half followed a similar pattern but with perhaps even less threat on the home goal. Paul Sturrock's entry twenty minutes into the second half improved matters and four minutes later Paul Kinnaird's cross from the left was nodded back by Ian Redford to Kevin Gallacher who pounced, yet again, to sweep the ball home via a slight deflection off Paul Sturrock. Although never in real danger of losing a goal it was a relieved Tannadice support which welcomed the final whistle.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet