Falkirk 2 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, November 29th, 1986, 3:00 PM at Brockville
Attendance: 4,406
Referee: Jim McGilvray (Edinburgh)
Falkirk Dundee Utd

Sam McGivern (5)
Peter Hetherston (73)
Ian Redford (74)

Team Managers
Billy Lamont Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
George Watson
Brian Martin
Jim Kerr
Bryan Purdie
Roddy Manley
Jim Dempsey
Peter Hetherston
Ian MacLeod
Ken Eadie
Sam McGivern
Jim Gilmour
Billy Thomson
Chris Sulley
Jimmy Page
Dave Narey
Gary McGinnis
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
John Clark
Paul Sturrock
Iain Ferguson
Tommy Coyne

Willie McGuire
Kenny Ashwood
Dave Beaumont
Dave Bowman

Willie McGuire for Roddy Manley (52)
Kenny Ashwood for Ken Eadie (85)
Dave Beaumont for John Clark (71)

Jim Kerr (78) Chris Sulley (22)
Jim McInally (75)
Gary McGinnis (89)

Red Cards
None. Tommy Coyne (51)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 83 apps -
Chris Sulley 8 apps -
Jimmy Page 7 apps -
Dave Narey 622 apps36 goals
Gary McGinnis 43 apps1 goal
Ian Redford 70 apps16 goals
Jim McInally 17 apps1 goal
John Clark 68 apps11 goals
Paul Sturrock 520 apps161 goals
Iain Ferguson 19 apps14 goals
Tommy Coyne 76 apps14 goals
Dave Beaumont (sub) 70 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jimmy Page (22 years 36 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 177 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 224 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jimmy Page (22 years 36 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 177 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 69 days
Domestic Players:11 (84.62 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Our first visit to Brockville on Premier business will certainly not kindle fond memories. On top of a European tie in midweek we were deprived of the services of Maurice Malpas, Eamonn Bannon and Kevin Gallacher, enforcing five changes in personnel. Falkirk who played from the outset at a frantic pace took an early lead when a cross landed at McGivern's feet in space and the former youth international wheeled to sweep the ball past Billy Thomson. From here on until the interval the majority of the action was confined to Falkirk's half but apart from a succession of corners only Iain Ferguson and Gary McGinnls managed to get shots in on goal, but both were marginally off target.

The second half started in sensational style. Tommy Coyne was ordered off for an off the ball clash with Manley who had to be substituted. Play flowed from end to end and the game erupted in the 73rd minute. Hetherston from a twice taken free-kick curled the ball past Billy Thomson from the edge of the box. Immediately from the re-start, Paul Sturrock was upended by Martin in the area. Iain Ferguson's spot-kick was saved, Jim Mdnally's follow-up was also blocked but Ian Redford finally slotted the ball home. More sensation followed, Falkirk being awarded a penalty a minute later when McGuire was adjudged to have been tripped by Billy Thomson. However, Billy diving to his right saved Hetherington's penalty kick. Paul Sturrock shot wide towards the end in what was our last chance to salvage something from this game which was played like a cup-tie

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet