Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Rangers

League Cup - Semi Final
Wednesday, September 24th, 1986, 7:30 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 45,249
Referee: Bill Crombie (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Rangers

Iain Ferguson (84)
Ally McCoist (19)
Ted McMinn (57)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Graeme Souness

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Dave Beaumont
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
Kevin Gallacher
Iain Ferguson
Paul Sturrock
Chris Woods
Jimmy Nicholl
Stuart Munro
Graeme Souness
Dave McPherson
Terry Butcher
Cammy Fraser
Ted McMinn
Ally McCoist
Iain Durrant
Davie Cooper

Chris Sulley
Ralph Milne
Robert Fleck
Eric Ferguson

Ralph Milne for Ian Redford (57)
Robert Fleck for Ted McMinn (82)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 66 apps -
Dave Narey 614 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 247 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 576 apps77 goals
Dave Beaumont 56 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 355 apps96 goals
Ian Redford 55 apps12 goals
Jim McInally 2 apps -
Kevin Gallacher 35 apps9 goals
Iain Ferguson 7 apps9 goals
Paul Sturrock 506 apps158 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 273 apps74 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 310 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 69 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 120 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 310 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 69 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 108 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


No blame could be laid on our Ibrox bogey for this latest defeat. The simple fact of the matter is that Rangers were the superior side on the night. Having said that the opening exchanges consisted of a tight midfield battle with Billy Thomson making a fine save from Davie Cooper. Rangers got the vital opening goal when Ted McMinn did well to get in his cross from the left and Ally McCoist did even better to flick the ball home at the near post. After surviving a spell of pressure, we began to make some impact just before the interval.

This continued on the re-start but our hopes were ruined when Cooper hoisted the ball forward for Ted McMinn to charge in on goal from the left to beat Billy Thomson. The game looked to be beyond our reach as the minutes ticked away, but Iain Ferguson threw us a possible late life-line and Iain smashed the ball past Woods from around the penalty spot. It was, however, too little, too late, and in truth anything more would have been far from deserved.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info