Hibernian 0 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Quarter Final
Wednesday, September 3rd, 1986, 7:30 PM at Easter Road
Attendance: 7,700
Referee: David Syme (Rutherglen)
Hibernian Dundee Utd

None. Iain Ferguson (76)
Iain Ferguson (84)

Team Managers
John Blackley Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan Rough
Billy Kirkwood
Joe Tortolano
Paul Kane
Mark Fulton
Gordon Hunter
Eddie May
Stuart Beedie
Steve Cowan
Mark Caughey
Joe McBride
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Gary McGinnis
Dave Beaumont
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Paul Sturrock
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher

Willie Irvine
Alan Sneddon
Dave Bowman
Ralph Milne

Alan Sneddon for Paul Kane (68)
Willie Irvine for Joe Tortolano (81)

Steve Cowan (25) Maurice Malpas (45)
Iain Ferguson (61)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 61 apps -
Maurice Malpas 242 apps8 goals
Paul Hegarty 571 apps75 goals
Gary McGinnis 30 apps1 goal
Dave Beaumont 51 apps2 goals
Dave Narey 610 apps36 goals
Eamonn Bannon 350 apps95 goals
Ian Redford 51 apps12 goals
Paul Sturrock 502 apps157 goals
Iain Ferguson 4 apps5 goals
Kevin Gallacher 30 apps8 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 48 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 110 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 48 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 341 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Undoubtedly our best performance of the season as we progressed to the semi-final of the Skol Cup. Hero of the evening was Iain Ferguson with two clinical finishes late in the game. Our new striker was involved in the early action. He blasted an Eamonn Bannon chip across the face of the goal and Kevin Gallacher fierce drive went narrowly over. Then Iain met a Paul Sturrock cut back but he was unlucky to see his shot sneak inches wide. Former Tannadice youngster Eddie May posed the first real threat at the other end. His run through the centre of defence was only halted by Billy Thomson's dash from goal.

Gary McGinnis had a couple of efforts on goal immediately after the break as Hibs began their best spell of the match. However, we always looked the likelier side to score and Iain Ferguson duly obliged. Paul Sturrock found Iain in space and he sped on to drive a low shot past Rough. Eight minutes later Eamonn Bannon raced to the bye-line before cutting the ball back to Iain Ferguson who steered in the second and conclusive goal.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet