IFK Gothenburg 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup - Final 1st Leg
Wednesday, May 6th, 1987, 6:00 PM at Ullevi Stadium
Attendance: 50,023
Referee: Siegfried Kirschen (East Germany)
IFK Gothenburg Dundee Utd

Kjell Pettersson (38) None.

Team Managers
Gunder Bengtsson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Thomas Wernersson
Mats-Ola Carlsson
Glenn Hysen
Peter Larsson
Stig Frediksson
Magnus Johansson
Tord Holmgren
Michael Andersson
Tommy Holmgren
Kjell Pettersson
Lennart Nilsson
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Paul Sturrock

Ove Tobiasson
Roland Nilsson
Lars Zetterlund
Per Edmund Mordt
Jari Rantanen
Scott Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Gordon McLeod
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher

Roland Nilsson for Magnus Johansson (68)
Lars Zetterlund for Tommy Holmgren (89)
John Clark for Paul Hegarty (56)
Dave Beaumont for Paul Sturrock (89)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 112 apps -
Maurice Malpas 289 apps9 goals
Dave Narey 653 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 599 apps79 goals
John Holt 394 apps24 goals
Eamonn Bannon 397 apps103 goals
Ian Redford 99 apps21 goals
Billy Kirkwood 394 apps69 goals
Jim McInally 48 apps2 goals
Dave Bowman 35 apps -
Paul Sturrock 542 apps163 goals
Dave Beaumont (sub) 83 apps2 goals
John Clark (sub) 94 apps14 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Bowman (23 years 62 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 293 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 69 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (19 years 251 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (32 years 293 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 18 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Part one of the most important match in the Club's history ended, on the whole, satisfactorily. The Swedes, who have such an awesome reputation in this competition never looked like gaining a convincing margin for the return leg and with just a little bit more luck we might have snatched the away goal that is so vital in the later stages of this competition.

There was early consternation in the united camp when Billy Thomson came to the rescue when Nilsson broke free. Thomson failed to get up from the challenge immediately and subsequently had five stitches in an ear wound. Both sides continued to search each other out but the home side made the breakthrough after 38 minutes. A corner on the left was headed down fiercely by Kjell Petterson and the ball shot high into the net. The uneven bounce was more to blame for Billy Thomson being beaten than the after-effects on his ear injury.

The Swedes opened brightly in the second half and only a magnificent one-handed save by Thomson kept out a shot from Petterson. After surviving a spell of hectic pressure it was United's turn to attack. Dave Bowman's pass found Ian Redford whose sweetly struck volley was somehow tipped over by Wernersson. John Clark then brought out another good save from the keeper from a free-kick.

A looping header by Petterson, well saved by Thomson, was the only major threat in the final quarter of an hour as play swung from end to end.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info