Dundee Utd 3 - 0 FC Universitatea Craiova

UEFA Cup - 2nd Round 1st Leg
Wednesday, October 22nd, 1986, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 10,728
Referee: Dusan Krcknak (Czechoslovakia)
Dundee Utd  FC Universitatea Craiova

Ian Redford (55)
John Clark (80)
Ian Redford (88)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Constantin Oțet

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Dave Narey
Ian Redford
Dave Bowman
Jim McInally
John Clark
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Paul Sturrock
Nicolae Negrila
Nicolae Ungureanu
Adrian Popescu
Marian Bicu
Gheorghe Popescu
Mircea Irimescu
Ion Goelgau

Scott Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Chris Sulley
Kevin Gallacher
Tommy Coyne
Adrian Cirtu

Kevin Gallacher for Ralph Milne (77)
Tommy Coyne for Paul Sturrock (77)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 73 apps -
Maurice Malpas 254 apps8 goals
Gary McGinnis 37 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 617 apps36 goals
Ian Redford 61 apps15 goals
Dave Bowman 15 apps -
Jim McInally 8 apps -
John Clark 58 apps9 goals
Ralph Milne 278 apps75 goals
Eamonn Bannon 362 apps97 goals
Paul Sturrock 512 apps158 goals
Tommy Coyne (sub) 70 apps14 goals
Kevin Gallacher (sub) 41 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Clark (22 years 35 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 139 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 311 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (19 years 338 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (30 years 139 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 320 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Patience was the foundation of this victory which put us in a strong position for the potentially hazardous trip to Rumania in a fortnight. Only a goal ahead with 10 minutes left, our continual onslaught on the Craiova goal brought two late goals.

After a patchy start, during which Ad Popescu smashed a 25 yarder against the bar, we gradually took control of the game, though the first half pressure brought a string of corners, rather than any serious goal attempts and on the few occasions when the iron Curtain defence was broken, Racolta was in excellent form.

The second period was a different story as we stepped up a gear. Ralph Milne swung over a comer, John Clark, deputising for the injured Paul Hegarty, nodded it down, allowing Ian Redford to steer the ball past Racolta. A few minutes later a repeat of that formula saw Ian's shot sneak narrowly wide. Ian Redford now in the thick of things, then saw his header brilliantly saved, before another was fractionally high. David Bowman then had a shot magnificently saved as the pressure mounted. The Rumanians finally cracked ten minutes from time. Eamonn Bannon's corner from the left was headed in by John Clark, a stand-out as deputy for Paul Hegarty. Two minutes remained when Maurice Malpas, after a mazy run, had a shot blocked by Racolta, but Ian Redford was on the spot to nod in the third goal which makes next week s trip that little bit more comfortable.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet