Dundee 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, May 14th, 1983, 3:00 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 29,106
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Dundee Dundee Utd

Iain Ferguson (28) Ralph Milne (4)
Eamonn Bannon (11)

Team Managers
Don Mackay Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Colin Kelly
Bobby Glennie
Stewart McKimmie
Cammy Fraser
Jim Smith
Iain McDonald
Iain Ferguson
George McGeachie
Eric Sinclair
Ray Stephen
Albert Kidd
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Peter Mackie
Brian Scrimgeour
John Holt
John Reilly

Peter Mackie for Bobby Glennie (66) John Holt for Paul Sturrock (61)

Bobby Glennie (11) Davie Dodds

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 579 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 404 apps58 goals
Derek Stark 205 apps5 goals
Richard Gough 101 apps11 goals
Maurice Malpas 76 apps2 goals
Dave Narey 451 apps34 goals
Ralph Milne 157 apps48 goals
Eamonn Bannon 189 apps52 goals
Billy Kirkwood 270 apps54 goals
Davie Dodds 230 apps95 goals
Paul Sturrock 374 apps118 goals
John Holt (sub) 234 apps20 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (20 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (35 years 122 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 185 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (20 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (35 years 122 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 91 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


It was all down to this... the last Premier Division match of the season. United were sitting top, just one point above both Celtic and Aberdeen - all they had to do was match the results of the other two and United would be champions of Scotland for the first time in history. Aberdeen, fresh from their European Cup Winners' Cup victory in midweek, were reliant on the other two teams dropping points, not to mention a major swing in goal difference. Just two goals separated United and Celtic. It was in United's own hands though, a victory in the fourth Dundee derby of the season would guarantee the championship, no matter how Celtic got on in the Old Firm match at Ibrox. Richard Gough was the only change from the 4-0 win over Motherwell, with John Holt dropping to the bench.

United stormed towards the championship with two goals inside the first 12 minutes. A glorious goal by Ralph Milne totally worthy of the occasion, sent United fans delirious with joy after just four minutes. After picking up a Paul Sturrock pass just inside the Dundee half, he carried the ball forward, skipped past Dundee's Stewart McKimmie, then delivered the most delightful chip high over the head of Colin Kelly and into the net from 25 yards. It was all United in these early stages, and 8 minutes later Dave Narey was brought down as he drove into the box, and referee George Smith pointed to the spot. Once the Dark Blue protests had been waved away, which saw Bobby Glennie booked for dissent, Eamonn Bannon stepped up to take the penalty kick. Kelly guessed correctly and saved to his left, however as the ball span loose, Bannon reacted the quickest to smash the ball home. Soon after, a Sturrock cross had Kelly panicking as it came off the top of the crossbar, and United fans had cause to celebrate even more when news arrived from Ibrox that Celtic were 2-0 down. Apart from a few dangerous balls into the box, Dundee had yet to show any signs of a threat, and United should have went 3-0 in front in the 27th minute when Davie Dodds flicked the ball off the bar and the ball looked to have bounced over the line, but play was waved on. Straight away Dundee broke right up the other end and Iain Ferguson lashed the ball past Hamish McAlpine from around 10 yards out.

There was little goalmouth action in a tense nervy second half, although both Milne and Sturrock created chances before the latter limped off on the hour mark, replaced by John Holt. The nerves in the second half got worse when word came through that Celtic had fought back from 2 goals down against Ranges to lead 3-2 with 15 minutes to play, and the realisation that a Dundee equaliser would see the Championship head to Glasgow. Albert Kidd nearly did just that, with a chance at the back post which he thankfully headed over the bar. At Ibrox, Celtic scored a fourth near the end, and Aberdeen had easily defeated Hibs at Pittodrie,but in the end neither of those results counted. The final whistle eventually blew at Dens Park and United achieve the impossible dream the League title. The match was perhaps not the greatest but that final whistle will be recalled by Tangerine followers for the rest of their lives.

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. UNITED 36 24 8 4 90 35 55 56
2. Celtic 36 25 5 6 90 36 54 55
3. Aberdeen 36 25 5 6 76 24 52 55
4. Rangers 36 13 12 11 52 41 11 38
5. St Mirren 36 11 12 13 47 51 -4 34
6. Dundee 36 9 11 16 42 53 -11 29
7. Hibernian 36 7 15 14 35 51 -16 29
8. Motherwell 36 11 5 20 39 73 -34 27
9. Morton 36 6 8 22 30 74 -44 20
10. Kilmarnock 36 3 11 22 28 91 -63 17

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet