Buckie Thistle 0 - 3 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Group C
Wednesday, July 19th, 2017, 8:00 PM at Victoria Park
Attendance: 1,200
Referee: Graham Beaton
Buckie Thistle Dundee Utd

None. Paul McMullan (17)
Billy King (21)
Mark Durnan (34)

Team Managers
Stephen Bruce Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Daniel Bell
Andrew Skinner
John Maitland
Ross Anderson
Lewis MacKinnon
Ceiran McLean
Kevin Fraser
Drew Copeland
John Mcleod
Christopher Angus
Stuart Taylor
Harry Lewis
William Edjenguélé
Jamie Robson
Lewis Toshney
Mark Durnan
Sam Stanton
Billy King
Jordie Briels
Patrick N'Koyi
James Keatings
Paul McMullan

Ross Elder
Callum Murray
Craig Dorrat
Sam Urquhart
Kai Ross
Declan Milne
Greg Sim
Deniz Mehmet
Tam Scobbie
Scott Fraser
Brad Smith
Scott Allardice
Archie Thomas
Cammy Ballantyne

Sam Urquhart for Stuart Taylor (57)
Callum Murray for Drew Copeland (67)
Kai Ross for John Mcleod (75)
Tam Scobbie for Mark Durnan (46)
Scott Fraser for Billy King (69)
Scott Allardice for Patrick N'Koyi (73)

Drew Copeland (53)
Ross Anderson (76)
Jordie Briels (71)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Harry Lewis (GK) 1 app (debut) -
William Edjenguélé 43 apps2 goals
Jamie Robson 31 apps1 goal
Lewis Toshney 30 apps1 goal
Mark Durnan 80 apps9 goals
Sam Stanton 2 apps -
Billy King 2 apps1 goal
Jordie Briels 2 apps -
Patrick N'Koyi 2 apps -
James Keatings 2 apps1 goal
Paul McMullan 2 apps2 goals
Tam Scobbie (sub) 2 apps -
Scott Allardice (sub) 8 apps -
Scott Fraser (sub) 76 apps8 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Harry Lewis (19 years 216 days)
Oldest Player:William Edjenguélé (30 years 81 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 64 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Archie Thomas (18 years 12 days)
Oldest Player:William Edjenguélé (30 years 81 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 128 days
Domestic Players:12 (66.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Harry Lewis(Signed July 14th, 2017)

Billy King scored his first goal for the Club.

United made four changes from the win over Raith Rovers for what was the club’s first ever game against Highland League champions Buckie Thistle. Harry Lewis, Sam Stanton, Patrick N’Koyi and Jamie Robson came into the team, with the first three all making their first starts for United. They replaced Deniz Mehmet, Tam Scobbie, Scott Fraser and Scott Allardice.

Buckie started the game well against their more illustrious opponents in rather gloomy conditions, however United were soon able to dominate possession and they began to create chances. The first chance came on 13 minutes, when a volley from Paul McMullen was superbly saved by Buckie goalkeeper Daniel Bell. However, he could not prevent Dundee United from opening the scoring a few minutes later. A cross from Billy King made its way to Paul McMullan on the edge of the box, and he hit a first time shot low into the bottom left hand corner. United had a firm grip on the game by this point, and increased their lead on 20 minutes. Billy King cut in from the right and drilled a low shot past Bell from 25 yards. McMullan was unlucky to not get his second and United’s third goal soon afterwards as he hit a goalbound shout which deflected off the head of a Buckie defender. Buckie Thistle were still able to create chances despite United dominating possession. On 30 minutes, good play between Drew Copeland and Kevin Fraser set up an opportunbity for Christopher Angus, However, he took a heavy touch when through on goal and debutant goalkeeper Harry Lewis was able to retrieve the ball. Soon after, United made it 3-0 as a corner from Keatings was diverted into the net by Mark Durnan. The home team were struggling to cope with United’s play, and did well not to concede more goals before half time. William Edjenguele saw an effort cleared off the line, before King missed a chance from which it looked easier to score, missing his kick at the back post after more excellent play from McMullan.
Patrick N’Koyi was then sent clean through on goal but saw his effort saved by Bell.

The second half was much more comfortable, although it could be argued that United took their foot off the pedal with the game more or less won.
Indeed, the first chance of the second half came on 65 minutes and came for the home side. After Tam Scobbie had to look sharp to prevent a run on goal from home striker John McLeod, Lewis did well to deal with a corner kick under severe pressure from several home players. United replied through a good run on the left from Jamie Robson, who laid the ball in to Keatings. However, his shot was well saved by Bell in the home goal, and Sam Stanton could not convert the rebound, sending his effort well over the bar.
Substitute Scott Fraser then sent a through ball on to McMullen, however he was taken too far wide and his cross was eventually cleared. The game was marred by a horrible injury to James Keatings with ten minutes to do with what appeared to be an innocuous challenge. Keatings was stretchered off with an ankle injury, and as United had used all three substitutes they were forced to see out the game with ten men. This did not prevent United from creating chances, and late on Sam Stanton sent the ball over the bar from close in. United were able to see the game out and seal a comfortable win.

Match report written by Derek Keilloh

Photography by DUFC Official

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet