Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Hamilton Academical

League - Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg
Thursday, May 25th, 2017, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 9,386
Referee: Steven McLean
Dundee Utd  Hamilton Academical

None. None.

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon
Martin Canning

Starting Eleven
Cammy Bell
Paul Dixon
Mark Durnan
William Edjenguélé
Seán Dillon
Wato Kuaté
Blair Spittal
Tony Andreu
Willo Flood
Thomas Mikkelsen
Simon Murray
Remi Matthews
Giannis Skondras
Alex Gogić
Massimo Donati
Scott McMann
Dougie Imrie
Danny Redmond
Darian McKinnon
Ali Crawford
Rakish Bingham
David Templeton

Luis Zwick
Jamie Robson
Lewis Toshney
Coll Donaldson
Alex Nicholls
Charlie Telfer
Ali Coote
Gary Woods
Grant Gillespie
Shaun Want
Louis Longridge
Craig Watson
Greg Docherty
Alex D'Acol

Charlie Telfer for Wato Kuaté (57)
Alex Nicholls for Tony Andreu (88)
Louis Longridge for David Templeton (63)
Greg Docherty for Danny Redmond (74)
Alex D'Acol for Rakish Bingham (80)

Simon Murray (30)
David Templeton (23)
Dougie Imrie (59)
Louis Longridge (80)
Alex Gogić (85)

Red Cards
Simon Murray (77)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Cammy Bell (GK) 48 apps -
Seán Dillon 345 apps7 goals
Paul Dixon 222 apps6 goals
Mark Durnan 77 apps8 goals
William Edjenguélé 40 apps2 goals
Wato Kuaté 9 apps1 goal
Blair Spittal 107 apps14 goals
Tony Andreu 41 apps19 goals
Willo Flood 197 apps7 goals
Thomas Mikkelsen 25 apps8 goals
Simon Murray 74 apps25 goals
Charlie Telfer (sub) 70 apps6 goals
Alex Nicholls (sub) 13 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Blair Spittal (21 years 163 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 308 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 317 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ali Coote (18 years 353 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 308 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 336 days
Domestic Players:10 (55.56 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Having dispensed with Greenock Morton and Falkirk in the Premiership Play-off Quarter and Semi-Finals respectively, all that now stood between Dundee United and promotion to the top flight was a two legged tie against Hamilton Accies. For the first leg at Tannadice, Ray McKinnon made no changes to the starting line-up which had emerged victorious at the Falkirk Stadium the previous Friday although there were two changes on the bench with Ali Coote replacing the injured Scott Fraser and Lewis Toshney replacing Scott Allardice. Hamilton Accies were forced into one change from the side which had thumped Dundee 4-0 on Saturday with club captain Mickey Devlin ruled out for the rest of the season through injury and Massimo Donati replacing him in the starting line-up.

After a cagey start, in which the lineman’s flag halted a half chance for both teams, it was Hamilton who could have opened the scoring on ten minutes. Breaking from a United corner, Bingham intercepted Kuate’s pass and burst down the right wing. His cross was perfect for Daniel Redmond who took a fresh air swipe at the ball from five yards and Bell gratefully gathered. Three minutes later it was Bingham’s turn to pass up a glorious chance. After outpacing Edjenguele his shot across goal from 12 yards was excellently blocked by the feet of Bell in the United goal. A minute later United registered their first shot on target however Murray’s near post drive was easily gathered by Matthews at his near post. A comedic collision between Gogic and Donati almost resulted in Mikkelsen being one on one with Matthews however, after Skondras got a toe on the ball, Matthews in the Hamilton goal was able to race from his area and clear the ball for a throw in ahead of Tony Andreu. On 30 minutes the United fans were screaming for a penalty when Murray went down under Donati’s challenge however referee Steven McLean saw things differently and booked the United forward. A couple of good interceptions by the Hamilton defence and a series of Hamilton corners which were easily dealt with was all the rest of the first half had to offer.

Moments after the restart United should have taken the lead. In a 3 on 1 situation Spittal, Mikkelsen and Murray bore down on the Hamilton goal. Spittal feed Murray hoping for the 1-2 however the United frontman crashed a shot towards goal which was blocked and cleared for a corner. On 55 minutes McKinnon made his first change with Charlie Telfer replacing the disciplined Kuate and it was from Telfer’s corner United nearly opened the scoring. Thomas Mikkeleon rose highest but his goal bound header was clawed away by Matthews in the Hamilton goal. Durnan was the next to have an effort on goal however after the ball breaking to high 15 yards out, he couldn’t keep his effort down. The entire complexion of the game changed with a sending off on 77 minutes. As Murray arrived at the ball ahead of McCann, he was clearly brought down for a penalty however this was an opinion not shared by the officials and Murray was giving his second caution for simulation. Despite being down to ten men United looked the more likely to break the deadlock however never managed to create another clear-cut chance to do so.

Match report written by Tommy McKay

Photography by DUFC Official


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 36 19 14 3 59 25 34 71
2. Falkirk 36 16 12 8 58 40 18 60
3. UNITED 36 15 12 9 50 42 8 57
4. Morton 36 13 13 10 44 41 3 52
5. Dunfermline 36 12 12 12 46 43 3 48
6. Queen of the South 36 11 10 15 46 52 -6 43
7. St Mirren 36 9 12 15 52 56 -4 39
8. Dumbarton 36 9 12 15 46 56 -10 39
9. Raith Rovers 36 10 9 17 35 52 -17 39
10. Ayr United 36 7 12 17 33 62 -29 33
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet