Greenock Morton 1 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - Championship
Saturday, May 6th, 2017, 3:00 PM at Cappielow
Attendance: 2,158
Referee: John Beaton
Greenock Morton Dundee Utd

Kudus Oyenuga (52) Blair Spittal (63)

Team Managers
Jim Duffy Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Bryn Halliwell
Ricki Lamie
Thomas O'Ware
Michael Doyle
Lewis Strapp
Ross Forbes
Mark Russell
Jamie McDonagh
Andy Murdoch
Kudus Oyenuga
Jon Scullion
Cammy Bell
Stewart Murdoch
Coll Donaldson
Jamie Robson
Mark Durnan
Blair Spittal
Willo Flood
Tony Andreu
Wato Kuaté
Ali Coote
Thomas Mikkelsen

James McGowan
Scott Tiffoney
Jamie Lindsay
Aidan Nesbitt
Michael Tidser
Luke Donnelly
Ruaridh Langan
Luis Zwick
Paul Dixon
Seán Dillon
Scott Allardice
Alex Nicholls
Charlie Telfer

Michael Tidser for Ross Forbes (58)
James McGowan for Bryn Halliwell (69)
Aiden Nesbitt for Kudus Oyenuga (85)
Charlie Telfer for Ali Coote (71)
Scott Allardice for Wato Kuaté (80)
Alex Nicholls for Willo Flood (89)

James McGowan (86) Wato Kuaté (79)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Cammy Bell (GK) 43 apps -
Stewart Murdoch 27 apps1 goal
Coll Donaldson 44 apps -
Jamie Robson 27 apps1 goal
Mark Durnan 72 apps8 goals
Blair Spittal 102 apps11 goals
Willo Flood 192 apps7 goals
Tony Andreu 36 apps19 goals
Wato Kuaté 4 apps -
Ali Coote 18 apps -
Thomas Mikkelsen 20 apps8 goals
Charlie Telfer (sub) 66 apps6 goals
Scott Allardice (sub) 5 apps -
Alex Nicholls (sub) 11 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ali Coote (18 years 334 days)
Oldest Player:Willo Flood (32 years 34 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 330 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ali Coote (18 years 334 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 289 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 141 days
Domestic Players:10 (58.82 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Dundee United travelled to Cappielow on the last day of the Scottish Championship season with their end of season position still uncertain. Occupying third position at the start of the day, one point behind Falkirk, left second place very much in Falkirk’s hands but should they drop points in their final league match at Dumbarton, United could finish the season in second spot and therefore progress straight to the Premiership Play-off Semi Final. For this crucial game, Ray McKinnon made one enforced change to his starting eleven from the 2-2 draw at home to Dumbarton last time out, with Ali Coote replacing the suspended Simon Murray. William Edjenguélé missed out once again, serving the second match of his two game suspension, with Coll Donaldson retaining his place in the centre of defence.

Early exchanges were even as both teams attempted to keep the ball on the deck. The splash of tangerine from the United end added colour to the occasion, with the Arabs going through their full repertoire in the sun. United were looking the more likely and won a series of corners which almost led to the opening goal when Durnan headed goal-ward and Donaldson’s flick was well saved by Halliwell from point blank range. United continued to press, with first Kuate’s shot saved, then Andreu shooting narrowly wide. Morton’s first and only first half shot on goal came after 22 minutes as United turned attack in to defence following a slack ball from Flood. Oyenuga’s resultant shot was easily saved by Bell. United almost took the lead on 27 mins. A flowing move led to a Mikkelsen flying header narrowly passing the far post, then the big forward curled a shot which Halliwell touched onto the post for a corner. United again hit the woodwork on 38 mins, when a powerful drive from Andreu cracked off the Morton bar. United continued to press until halftime, with efforts from Andreu and Coote, but the opening goal eluded a dominant United as the half time whistle blew.

After a low key start to the second half, Morton scored on 58 minutes with their first meaningful move. A cross from the left was met by Kudus Oyenuga, whose delicate header beat Bell at the far post. United hit the woodwork for a third time on the hour mark when a Spittal cross was met by Andreu, but his header shaved the outside of the post. United’s equaliser came on 62 minutes when this time Andreu played in Blair Spittal who turned and shot from 10 yards, steering it away from keeper Halliwell. United were back on the front foot and another flying header from Mikkelsen went narrowly wide. Next a sublime pass from Andreu played in Mikkelsen, but was narrowly offside when through on goal. With 14 mins remaining United almost took the lead with a darting run by Spittal resulting in another good block by Halliwell. Kuate who had been riding his luck with the referee finally saw yellow after a foul on Oyenuga. He was replaced a minute later by Scott Allardice. Morton almost snatched victory in the 88th minute when Nesbitt’s shot was touched onto the post by Bell. As full time approached, United had a period of pressure and half chances before the referee blew for full time with honours even in. The two teams will now meet again a further twice in the Championship play-offs.

Match report written by Stuart Norris

Photography by DUFC Official

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 36 19 14 3 59 25 34 71
2. Falkirk 36 16 12 8 58 40 18 60
3. UNITED 36 15 12 9 50 42 8 57
4. Morton 36 13 13 10 44 41 3 52
5. Dunfermline 36 12 12 12 46 43 3 48
6. Queen of the South 36 11 10 15 46 52 -6 43
7. St Mirren 36 9 12 15 52 56 -4 39
8. Dumbarton 36 9 12 15 46 56 -10 39
9. Raith Rovers 36 10 9 17 35 52 -17 39
10. Ayr United 36 7 12 17 33 62 -29 33
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet