Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Ayr United

League - Championship
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 4,661
Referee: Barry Cook
Dundee Utd  Ayr United

Simon Murray (23)
Mark Durnan (78)
Gary Harkins (pen.) (51)

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon
Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
Cammy Bell
Mark Durnan
William Edjenguélé
Jamie Robson
Stewart Murdoch
Alex Nicholls
Willo Flood
Charlie Telfer
Tony Andreu
Simon Murray
Thomas Mikkelsen
Greg Fleming
Nicky Devlin
Paddy Boyle
Daryll Meggatt
Conrad Balatoni
Brian Gilmour
Michael Rose
Robbie Crawford
Ross Docherty
Craig Moore
Gary Harkins

Luis Zwick
Coll Donaldson
Frank van der Struijk
Paul Dixon
Wato Kuaté
Nick van der Velden
Ali Coote
Peter Murphy
Alan Forrest
Paul Cairney
Farid El Alagui
Jordan Hart
Michael Wardrope
Craig McGuffie

Ali Coote for Alex Nicholls (70)
Wato Kuaté for Simon Murray (90)
Farid El Alagui for Gary Harkins (61)
Alan Forrest for Craig Moore (72)
Craig McGuffie for Robbie Crawford (85)

None. Daryll Meggatt (64)
Ross Docherty (85)
Nicky Devlin (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Cammy Bell (GK) 36 apps -
Mark Durnan 65 apps8 goals
William Edjenguélé 30 apps2 goals
Jamie Robson 21 apps1 goal
Stewart Murdoch 20 apps1 goal
Alex Nicholls 8 apps -
Willo Flood 186 apps7 goals
Charlie Telfer 62 apps6 goals
Tony Andreu 29 apps17 goals
Simon Murray 63 apps20 goals
Thomas Mikkelsen 13 apps3 goals
Ali Coote (sub) 14 apps -
Wato Kuaté (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (19 years 104 days)
Oldest Player:Willo Flood (31 years 360 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 304 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ali Coote (18 years 295 days)
Oldest Player:Nick van der Velden (35 years 111 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 204 days
Domestic Players:9 (50.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Wato Kuaté(Signed March 27th, 2017)


Ray McKinnon made two changes from the team that had lifted the Irn Bru Cup on Saturday, defeating St Mirren 2-1 at Fir Park, with Van der Velden and Ali Coote dropping out in place of January loan signings Alex Nicholls and Thomas Mikkelsen.

The game took a while to get going, United having plenty of possession in the opening twenty minutes, but without penetrating Ayr’s two solid defensive lines of four. Gilmour and Harkins both had attempts which did not trouble Cammy Bell, at the other end decent link up play down both wings, but poor execution of the crosses saw Fleming in the Ayr goal with little to do. United won the first corner of the match on twenty three minutes. Andreu’s attempt to get to the cross was deflected wide to Simon Murray. He cut in with pace, slid the ball through Devlin’s legs and then did the same to Fleming to fire United into a well deserved lead. Similar to Saturday, United appeared to switch off after taking the lead and it took a last ditch effort by Durnan to stop ex-Dundee man Harkins from equalising. United fans were not taking kindly to some of referee Cook’s decisions as he gave two quick free kicks in Ayr’s advantage and then to add insult to injury failed to acknowledge a wrestling move on Mikkelsen as he challenged for a header in the Ayr box. United finished the half much the stronger side, with Nicholls, Murray and Edjenguele all having chances to extend the lead before the whistle.

The second half got off to the worst possible start for United, five minutes in a quick free by Gilmour down the left saw Crawford drive into the box, under a challenge from Andreu he hit the deck and the referee showed no hesitation in awarding a spot kick to Ayr. Gary Harkins dispatched the spot kick with ease sending Bell to his left and the ball high into the right of the net. The equaliser appeared to give Ayr a lift and they began to push men forward as they looked to capitalise on an increasingly nervous United defence. United nearly regained the lead as the game hit the sixtieth minute, Andreu, after great set up play from Mikkelsen stinging Fleming’s palms with a wicked drive. The rebound fell to the feet of the onrushing Nicholls but his drive from wide on the left only found the side netting. Meggatt received the first caution of the game for some more wrestling antics on Mikkelsen, as the game began to flow from end to end. Coote replaced Nicholls for United and Forrest came on for Moore with around twenty minutes of the game remaining. Murray then drove a shot under Fleming, but the Ayr keeper just managed to stop it spinning under his body to prevent United going ahead. They did take the lead with twelve minutes remaining, Mark Durnan fired home from close range following a scramble in the box, after Fleming struggled to clear Telfer’s corner. Coote nearly added to the advantage but his shot was well blocked after Andreu’s cross, Murray then tested Fleming as United looked to make sure of the three points. Former United frontman El Alagui did have the ball in the net for Ayr, but the effort was ruled out as he was clearly offside. Simon Murray had the United’s final chance blazing over when there were options either side, he was subsequently withdrawn, replaced by recent signing Wato Kuate. Ayr almost equalised with the last kick of the ball as Bell, Durnan and Murdoch all managed to scramble the ball away as The Honest Men looked to secure a point.

Match report written by Gordon Aitchison

Photography by DUFC Official


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 29 16 10 3 46 20 26 58
2. Falkirk 30 13 9 8 49 34 15 48
3. Morton 28 13 9 6 39 28 11 48
4. UNITED 29 13 8 8 40 32 8 47
5. Queen of the South 30 9 9 12 37 42 -5 36
6. Dunfermline 29 8 11 10 37 38 -1 35
7. Raith Rovers 30 8 9 13 29 41 -12 33
8. Dumbarton 30 7 10 13 40 49 -9 31
9. Ayr United 30 7 10 13 29 47 -18 31
10. St Mirren 29 6 9 14 31 46 -15 27
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet