Queen of the South 2 - 3 Dundee Utd

Challenge Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, February 18th, 2017, 5:15 PM at Palmerston Park
Attendance: 1,526
Referee: Nick Walsh
Queen of the South Dundee Utd

Stephen Dobbie (51)
Derek Lyle (90)
Charlie Telfer (3)
Scott Fraser (11)
Tony Andreu (35)

Team Managers
Gary Naysmith Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Lee Robinson
Jordan Marshall
Andy Dowie
Darren Brownlie
Chris Higgins
Jamie Hamill
Kyle Jacobs
Dom Thomas
Connor Murray
Derek Lyle
Stephen Dobbie
Luis Zwick
Frank van der Struijk
Paul Dixon
William Edjenguélé
Seán Dillon
Willo Flood
Scott Fraser
Tony Andreu
Alex Nicholls
Charlie Telfer
Simon Murray

Jim Atkinson
Scott Hooper
Lyndon Dykes
Owen Bell
Ross Fergusson
Dan Carmichael
Brett Long
Stewart Murdoch
Mark Durnan
Scott Allardice
Brad Smith
Ali Coote
Thomas Mikkelsen

Lyndon Dykes for Connor Murray (58)
Dan Carmichael for Jamie Hamill (85)
Thomas Mikkelsen for Simon Murray (68)
Ali Coote for Alex Nicholls (73)

Connor Murray (55) Paul Dixon (86)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Luis Zwick (GK) 22 apps -
Frank van der Struijk 17 apps -
Seán Dillon 341 apps7 goals
Paul Dixon 216 apps5 goals
William Edjenguélé 24 apps2 goals
Willo Flood 180 apps7 goals
Scott Fraser 68 apps8 goals
Tony Andreu 23 apps14 goals
Alex Nicholls 3 apps -
Charlie Telfer 58 apps6 goals
Simon Murray 57 apps18 goals
Ali Coote (sub) 9 apps -
Thomas Mikkelsen (sub) 7 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Charlie Telfer (21 years 235 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 212 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 321 days
Domestic Players:4 (36.36 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ali Coote (18 years 257 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 212 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 246 days
Domestic Players:9 (50.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United made the trip south to Palmerston Park with the hope of booking themselves a place in the final of the IRB BRU Cup against either St Mirren or the leaders of the Welsh Premier League The New Saints. McKinnon made three changes with Dillon, Murray, Telfer and Edjenguélé returning to the starting line up. The Doonhamers had a limited squad to chose from with Thomson, Mercer and Rankin all cup tied.

The first few minutes started somewhat shakily for United’s defence but their fortune turned around extremely quickly in the third minute with Charlie Telfer taking his time and carefully placing the ball in the back of the net after a scrap in the box. After the goal, confidence built up across the team with the defence linking up well and plenty positive passes going forward. In the first ten minutes Queens had plenty of crosses into the box as well but Edjenguélé always seemed to be there to deal with the threat. On ten minutes, Scott Fraser doubled United’s lead driving home his own rebounded effort. As the final ten minutes of the half came around Murray and Andreu linked up well with Murray cutting back inside the box and passing it to Tony Andreu who bent the ball into the top left corner. The Doonhamers had the last chance of the half with Stephen Dobbie crossing it across the open face of the goal but Lyle was unable to stick his toe on it which would have surely given Queens their first.

United started the second half comfortably displaying the same dominance that they had shown in the first half but on the 50th minute Queens top scorer Stephen Dobbie slotted it in to give some hope back to the home fans. After having being lifted by their first goal Queens missed numerous clear opportunities to score and United kept a hold of their three goal lead. As the final third came about, Queens piled on the pressure again with them being awarded two corners in the space of three minutes. United’s defence dealt with the pressure well though. In the final five minutes Dixon received a yellow card giving Queens a free kick just outside United’s box level with the penalty spot on the right wing. The free kick was crossed across the face of the goal but once again nobody was there to take the shot. As the game seemed to be coming to an end, Queens took advantage of a United slip up and scored a goal that once again brought hope to the Queens fans for the chance of the game going to extra time - Derek Lyle bundling the ball over the line. The last three minutes were very tense for both sets of fans but United benefited from their performance in the first half and progressed to the final.

Match report written by Alasdair Marnoch

Photography by DUFC Official

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet