Falkirk 3 - 0 Dundee Utd

League - Championship
Saturday, February 11th, 2017, 3:00 PM at Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 5,028
Referee: Euan Anderson
Falkirk Dundee Utd

John Baird (5)
Aaron Muirhead (pen.) (53)
James Craigen (60)

Team Managers
Peter Houston Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Danny Rogers
Aaron Muirhead
Paul Watson
Peter Grant
Luke Leahy
Tom Taiwo
Craig Sibbald
James Craigen
Myles Hippolyte
Lee Miller
John Baird
Luis Zwick
Lewis Toshney
Frank van der Struijk
Paul Dixon
Mark Durnan
Willo Flood
Scott Fraser
Tony Andreu
Alex Nicholls
Blair Spittal
Thomas Mikkelsen

Robbie Thomson
Lewis Kidd
Luca Gasparotto
Nathan Austin
Bob McHugh
Tony Gallacher
Fraser Aird
Brett Long
Jamie Robson
Stewart Murdoch
SeŠn Dillon
Charlie Telfer
Nick van der Velden
Simon Murray

Nathan Austin for John Baird (40)
Lewis Kidd for Tom Taiwo (82)
Fraser Aird for Lee Miller (85)
Simon Murray for Blair Spittal (53)
SeŠn Dillon for Lewis Toshney (62)
Stewart Murdoch for Scott Fraser (73)

None. Willo Flood (30)
Luis Zwick (53)
Paul Dixon (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Luis Zwick (GK) 21 apps -
Lewis Toshney 24 apps1 goal
Frank van der Struijk 16 apps -
Paul Dixon 215 apps5 goals
Mark Durnan 59 apps6 goals
Willo Flood 179 apps7 goals
Scott Fraser 67 apps7 goals
Tony Andreu 22 apps13 goals
Alex Nicholls 2 apps -
Blair Spittal 95 apps9 goals
Thomas Mikkelsen 6 apps2 goals
SeŠn Dillon (sub) 340 apps7 goals
Stewart Murdoch (sub) 17 apps1 goal
Simon Murray (sub) 56 apps18 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Blair Spittal (21 years 60 days)
Oldest Player:Frank van der Struijk (31 years 328 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 261 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (19 years 59 days)
Oldest Player:Nick van der Velden (35 years 66 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 141 days
Domestic Players:9 (50.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United were dealt a blow prior to kick off when Cammy Bell failed a late fitness test with Luis Zwick coming in to replace him. Willo Flood returned to the line up with Alex Nicholls making his first start for the Club. William Edjenguele missed out through suspension and Simon Murray dropped to the bench.

United got off to the worst possible start when after only four minutes the hosts took the lead. After hesitation at the back Miller crossed from the right and John Baird stole in and headed home off the underside of the bar. Four minutes later the Bairns almost made it two. Craigenís corner was met by Peter Grant and his powerful header was brilliantly tipped over by Zwick. Shortly after United had their first chance when Dixon crossed to Mikkelsen but his header was well off target. Hippolyte then created a chance for Baird but his long range shot was well held by Zwick. Falkirk again went close when a Craigen free kick was just too high for Miller and then former United man Miller laid the ball into the path of Baird who shot just wide. With 36 minutes on the clock United went very close to drawing level. Van der Struijk won a corner on the right and from Fraserís corner Mikkelsen headed against the crossbar. United were beginning to look more threatening and a good move down the left saw a Spittal cross fall to Flood who was unlucky to see his shot deflect wide of target.

United started brightly and Nicholls had a great run on the left and fed Andreu who shot well over the top. Things took a real turn for the worse for United after 52 minutes. With only ten men on the park with Spittal off injured Falkirk took advantage in the midfield. Austin broke through on goal and whilst rounding Zwick was taken down for a penalty kick. Referee Euan Anderson opted to give Unitedís keeper a yellow card. Aaron Muirhead stepped up and slotted home the penalty to double the hosts advantage. Murray then came on for Spittal and almost made an immediate impact when his shot was turned round the post by Rogers. On the hour mark the game was effectively put beyond United. The ball was played in from the left and after a mix up in the defence James Craigen was on hand to slam the ball home. It could have been worse still for United when Grant headed home a free kick but fortunately for the visitors he was in an offside position. With the game virtually over the match petered out with a flurry of substitutions from both sides and very little goalmouth action. With three minutes left Craigenís free kick was met by Grant but his header was well saved by Zwick. In the dying seconds a cross from Murray found Mikkelsen but he headed over from close range.

Match report written by Gareth Scott

Photography by DUFC Official

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 23 14 7 2 38 12 26 49
2. UNITED 24 12 7 5 34 24 10 43
3. Falkirk 24 11 7 6 38 26 12 40
4. Morton 23 11 7 5 34 24 10 40
5. Queen of the South 24 8 7 9 33 34 -1 31
6. Dunfermline 23 6 8 9 28 33 -5 26
7. Dumbarton 24 6 7 11 28 36 -8 25
8. Raith Rovers 23 6 7 10 22 31 -9 25
9. Ayr United 23 4 9 10 21 36 -15 21
10. St Mirren 23 2 8 13 22 42 -20 14
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet