Dundee Utd 2 - 1 St Mirren

League - Championship
Saturday, December 24th, 2016, 12:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 7,247
Referee: John McKendrick
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Scott Fraser (28)
Simon Murray (45)
John Sutton (27)

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon
Jack Ross

Starting Eleven
Cammy Bell
William Edjenguélé
Paul Dixon
Mark Durnan
Seán Dillon
Tony Andreu
Willo Flood
Scott Fraser
Blair Spittal
Charlie Telfer
Simon Murray
Scott Gallacher
Jason Naismith
Gary Irvine
Andy Webster
Gary Mackenzie
Rocco Quinn
Stevie Mallan
Lewis Morgan
Kyle McAllister
Kyle Magennis
John Sutton

Luis Zwick
Coll Donaldson
Stewart Murdoch
Jamie Robson
Nick van der Velden
Tope Obadeyi
Cammy Smith
Jamie Langfield
David Clarkson
Calum Gallagher
Jack Baird
Lewis Mclear
Ryan Hardie
Lawrence Shankland

Coll Donaldson for Mark Durnan (25)
Nick van der Velden for Charlie Telfer (70)
Cammy Smith for Simon Murray (80)
Jack Baird for Gary Mackenzie (19)
David Clarkson for Rocco Quinn (60)
Lawrence Shankland for Kyle McAllister (79)

Paul Dixon (88)
David Clarkson (64)
Andy Webster (65)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Cammy Bell (GK) 24 apps -
William Edjenguélé 17 apps2 goals
Seán Dillon 338 apps7 goals
Paul Dixon 209 apps5 goals
Mark Durnan 52 apps6 goals
Tony Andreu 16 apps9 goals
Willo Flood 173 apps7 goals
Scott Fraser 60 apps6 goals
Blair Spittal 89 apps9 goals
Charlie Telfer 53 apps5 goals
Simon Murray 50 apps16 goals
Coll Donaldson (sub) 39 apps -
Nick van der Velden (sub) 22 apps3 goals
Cammy Smith (sub) 21 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Blair Spittal (21 years 11 days)
Oldest Player:Seán Dillon (33 years 156 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 364 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (19 years 10 days)
Oldest Player:Nick van der Velden (35 years 17 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 52 days
Domestic Players:11 (61.11 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Simon Murray played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

There were glimpses of goal for both teams early on with the visitors first to threaten in the 4th minute. Neat play set up Kyle McAllister in space in the box however William Edjenguele was on hand to block the shot. At the other end Murray attempted an ambitious shot from distance but dragged the ball wide then a foray down the right flank from Dillon resulted in Blair Spittal looping a header over from an inviting delivery. After a dangerous corner from the visitors was headed away by Mark Durnan there was a stoppage in play when the United man and the in rushing Gary Mackenzie clashed heads. In the end Mackenzie had to be withdrawn in place of Jack Baird after failing to recover. Durnan initially carried on for United but then also had to be replaced by Coll Donaldson, clearly still feeling the effects of the earlier challenge. Unfortunately for the United sub his first involvement was to play a significant part in the opening goal for St Mirren. Donaldson stumbled over the ball when receiving a Dixon throw to the edge of the box, allowing John Sutton to pounce and bury confidently beyond Cammy Bell. This was the first goal conceded by the Tangerines in over six games however they reacted brilliantly to the disappointment and were level under a minute later. Tony Andreu played a low ball across the six-yard box which found a way to Scott Fraser at the far post who slammed the ball home from 8 yards. There was a penalty shout just after when Murray went down under pressure from Andy Webster but referee John McKendrick waved play on. In what was the most frantic spell of the match to that point, the Paisley side missed a glorious chance to re take the lead when an excellent cross by McAllister was met by Jason Naismith who struck the post from close range. 5 minutes before half time Willo Flood neatly switched the play wide to Fraser who used Dillon as decoy before cutting inside but his low left foot shot ran wide of the target. On the stroke of half time United’s main threat then Fraser won a free kick on the right edge of the box. The midfield man took the set piece himself and curled in a delivery towards the back post with tangerine shirts queueing up to score. The man who got the vital touch from just a yard out was Simon Murray to head United into a half time lead which had for long spells seemed unlikely.

There was little in the way action on resumption and it was the 58th minute before either goalkeeper was called upon. After good link up between Spittal and Fraser on the right side of the box the former dinked in a cross which Murray headed towards the corner forcing a good save from Scott Gallacher diving to his right. St Mirren responded in the 63rd minute with a right foot shot from Lewis Morgan 20 yards out which Bell turned round the post low to his left. The corner was cleared and as Fraser looked to break up field he was crudely taken out from behind by sub David Clarkson who earned just a yellow card from referee McKendrick. Former Tannadice favourite Webster was next to earn a booking for a foul on Spittal before Donaldson headed just wide from the resulting free kick. It then needed a perfectly timed saving challenge from Edjenguele to prevent Morgan from pulling the trigger after he was sent clear in the box. This provided United with the warning that a 3rd goal was needed to seal the points and the home side looked to press forward thereafter. Murray lost his balance after a foraging run into the box before Gallacher made a good save from a Dillon shot from long range that was heading towards the top corner. With the visitors pushing forward chasing an equaliser there were opportunities for United on the break and on one of these occasions Fraser just failed to connect his head with Spittal’s delivery. It again required Edjenguele to make a vital challenge, this time on sub Lawrence Shankland, as the hosts had to withstand some late pressure. There was another breakaway opportunity just into injury time when Andreu played in Spittal who blasted over from 8 yards however the offside flag had been raised in any case. United survived a last moment of panic when a dangerous ball into the box went past for a goal kick evading two St Mirren players waiting to connect on its way. Thankfully the Terrors were able to see the game out and the relief at the final whistle inside the stadium reflected the fact this was a massive three points. And there was further good news shortly after full time as Hibs draw at home to Raith meant United would go top of the league.

Match report written by Ally Stewart

Photography by DUFC Official


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. UNITED 18 11 5 2 27 13 14 38
2. Hibernian 18 10 6 2 30 10 20 36
3. Morton 17 7 6 4 24 18 6 27
4. Falkirk 17 7 5 5 24 20 4 26
5. Raith Rovers 17 6 7 4 20 16 4 25
6. Queen of the South 18 5 5 8 22 29 -7 20
7. Dumbarton 18 4 6 8 20 28 -8 18
8. Ayr United 18 4 6 8 18 28 -10 18
9. Dunfermline 17 4 5 8 21 28 -7 17
10. St Mirren 18 2 5 11 17 33 -16 11
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet