Raith Rovers 0 - 0 Dundee Utd

League - Championship
Saturday, December 17th, 2016, 3:00 PM at Starks Park
Attendance: 4,361
Referee: Steven Kirkland
Raith Rovers Dundee Utd

None. None.

Team Managers
Gary Locke Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Kevin Cuthbert
Kevin McHattie
Jean-Yves Mvoto
Kyle Benedictus
Iain Davidson
Ross Callachan
Rudi Skácel
Jordan Thompson
Christopher Johnston
Bobby Barr
Declan McManus
Cammy Bell
Lewis Toshney
Jamie Robson
Mark Durnan
William Edjenguélé
Scott Fraser
Tony Andreu
Blair Spittal
Charlie Telfer
Willo Flood
Tope Obadeyi

Ross Matthews
Mark Stewart
Lewis Vaughan
Joel Coustrain
Scott Roberts
Conor Brennan
Robbie Crawford
Luis Zwick
Coll Donaldson
Stewart Murdoch
Seán Dillon
Nick van der Velden
Simon Murray
Cammy Smith

Mark Stewart for Rudi Skácel (71)
Lewis Vaughan for Declan McManus (83)
Joel Coustrain for Bobby Barr (90)
Seán Dillon for Tope Obadeyi (57)
Simon Murray for Charlie Telfer (64)

Jordan Thompson (29)
Kyle Benedictus (76)
Declan McManus (81)
Lewis Toshney (24)
Mark Durnan (56)

Red Cards
None. Lewis Toshney (55)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Cammy Bell (GK) 23 apps -
Lewis Toshney 19 apps1 goal
Jamie Robson 16 apps1 goal
Mark Durnan 51 apps6 goals
William Edjenguélé 16 apps2 goals
Scott Fraser 59 apps5 goals
Tony Andreu 15 apps9 goals
Blair Spittal 88 apps9 goals
Charlie Telfer 52 apps5 goals
Willo Flood 172 apps7 goals
Tope Obadeyi 21 apps2 goals
Seán Dillon (sub) 337 apps7 goals
Simon Murray (sub) 49 apps15 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (19 years 3 days)
Oldest Player:Willo Flood (31 years 259 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 143 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (19 years 3 days)
Oldest Player:Nick van der Velden (35 years 10 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 300 days
Domestic Players:11 (61.11 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


2,458 United fans made the trip south to Starks Park filling up the away end and creating an excellent atmosphere. McKinnon stuck with the line up from the game against Ayr United and, having recovered from a knee injury, Simon Murray was the only change on the bench. Following Rovers’ defeat to bottom of the league St Mirren the previous week, defender Kyle Benedictus came back after a one game suspension.

Both teams started slowly but as the game got going so did the scrappy tackles. The first chance of the game fell to the hosts but the ball was caught easily by Cammy Bell. United registered their first shot in the sixth minute with Obadeyi firing it wide from 20 yards out. At the other end of the park, Raith were awarded a free kick after a tackle by Edjenguélé. The free kick was headed away by the United defence creating what seemed to be a promising counter attack for United. Obadeyi ran down the left wing but struggled to find Fraser and the ball returned to Raith. United were rewarded with a free kick 25 yards outside the box and Spittal was chosen to take it. He curved it round the wall but it went straight towards the keeper in the middle of the goal. As the first half progressed it began to get a bit scrappy with a foul on Fraser on the right wing. United were subsequently given a free kick which Durnan took and after a scramble in the box it hit off Tony Andreu and out for a goal kick. Raith had the last and possibly the closest chance of the half when the ball bounces off McManus’s chest and onto the cross bar. The United defence dealt with it well and this brought the first half to a close.

Once again the half started slowly with the first clear chance occurring in the 52nd minute with Jordan Thompson’s shot going over the bar. United’s defence was put to the test in the next few minutes but Edjenguélé found a gap in Raith’s defence and ran through their half and on into the home team’s penalty box where his shot went over the bar. Ten minutes into the second half Toshney (already on a yellow) made a rash tackle on Barr and much to the delight of the home fans was sent off with another yellow card. Durnan is also given a yellow card for dissent. Since United were only playing with 10 men and one defender short, McKinnon brings on Dillon as the first substitution of the game. With the advantage of an extra man, Raith begin to pile the pressure on United with a shot deflecting off a United defender and going out for a corner. The corner comes in high and gets headed straight towards Cammy Bell. As the final half hour of the game set in, Spittal had a series of shots that were either saved or cleared. This began to excite the Tangerine Army and got them singing in full voice. With the away crowd behind them, momentum seemed to be with United but they were unable to get past the home team’s defence.

Soon after Simon Murray was brought down in the box and United were given a penalty. Andreu stepped up to take it and it went off the keeper’s palm for a corner. The game picked up pace in the final 10 minutes with both teams having chances on goal but nothing ever came from any chances.

Match report written by Alasdair Marnoch

Photography by DUFC Official

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 17 10 5 2 29 9 20 35
2. UNITED 17 10 5 2 25 12 13 35
3. Falkirk 17 7 5 5 24 20 4 26
4. Morton 16 6 6 4 23 18 5 24
5. Raith Rovers 16 6 6 4 19 15 4 24
6. Queen of the South 17 5 5 7 22 28 -6 20
7. Dunfermline 17 4 5 8 21 28 -7 17
8. Dumbarton 17 4 5 8 16 24 -8 17
9. Ayr United 17 4 5 8 14 24 -10 17
10. St Mirren 17 2 5 10 16 31 -15 11
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet