Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Hibernian

(Lost 4 - 2 on pens.)
Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 16th, 2016, 12:15 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 19,651
Referee: John Beaton
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

None. None.

Team Managers
Mixu Paatelainen
Alan Stubbs

Starting Eleven
Eiji Kawashima
Kyle Knoyle
Callum Morris
Coll Donaldson
SeŠn Dillon
Blair Spittal
Paul Paton
John Rankin
Chris Erskine
Billy Mckay
Ryan Dow
Conrad Logan
David Gray
Darren McGregor
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Marvin Bartley
Fraser Fyvie
John McGinn
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Jason Cummings

Luis Zwick
Paul Dixon
Guy Demel
Scott Fraser
Henri Anier
Florent Sinama Pongolle
Edward Ofere
Otso Virtanen
Farid El Alagui
Danny Handling
Martin Boyle
Niklas Gunnarsson
Chris Dagnall
Kevin Thomson

Paul Dixon for Callum Morris (34)
Guy Demel for Coll Donaldson (74)
Henri Anier for Chris Erskine (76)
Farid El Alagui for Anthony Stokes (79)
Martin Boyle for Liam Henderson (85)
Chris Dagnall for Farid El Alagui (96)

Coll Donaldson (30)
Ryan Dow (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Eiji Kawashima (GK) 15 apps -
Kyle Knoyle 6 apps -
Callum Morris 44 apps3 goals
SeŠn Dillon 321 apps7 goals
Coll Donaldson 20 apps -
Blair Spittal 66 apps9 goals
Paul Paton 93 apps6 goals
John Rankin 202 apps13 goals
Chris Erskine 67 apps10 goals
Ryan Dow 110 apps13 goals
Billy Mckay 31 apps13 goals
Paul Dixon (sub) 190 apps5 goals
Guy Demel (sub) 14 apps1 goal
Henri Anier (sub) 25 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kyle Knoyle (19 years 209 days)
Oldest Player:Eiji Kawashima (33 years 36 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 346 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kyle Knoyle (19 years 209 days)
Oldest Player:Guy Demel (34 years 316 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 94 days
Domestic Players:7 (38.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


It was largely a quiet start to the match, no real chances being carved out until just before the ten minute mark when Hibs midfielder Fraser Fyvie struck a venomous effort just over the crossbar of United keeper Eiji Kawashima. As the first-half progressed, it was the Edinburgh side that dominated in terms of possession and chances created, however, mid-way through the half Billy Mckay was presented with a huge opportunity to put the Tangerines into the lead, but the Northern Ireland international could only place his shot from a one-on-one situation off the physical presence of Hibernian keeper Conrad Logan. Shortly after Mckayís golden opportunity, Hibernian were awarded with a penalty after defender Coll Donaldson was judged to have hand-balled a Fyvie cross inside the box. Up-stepped the confident Jason Cummings, whose attempted panenka rose well above the crossbar and out for a goal-kick. A real let-off for United. Right on the stroke of half-time however, Mckay again found himself one-on-one with Hibee debutant Logan, this time the strikerís effort from a tight angle deflecting off the goalkeeper and out.

It was United that started the brighter of the sides in the second period, nice interplay from Mckay and Erskine seeing the latter fire a tame effort into the palms of Logan. Just after the hour mark, and with United beginning to control the match, the Terrors were inches away from taking a deserved lead. The move came about through a cute dinked pass from Paton into Erskine, who then cutback to Ryan Dow, however, Dowís effort was scrambled off the line and clear from danger.

With nobody scoring across the 90 minutes, the game went to 30 minutes extra-time. Starting in a similar way to where they left off, it was United who created the first chance of the additional time, John Rankin firing a left-footed effort from distance, but, much like most of the afternoon, the impressive Conrad Logan was equal to it. Just before the break, it was Henri Anierís turn to go one-on-one with Logan, however, Logan again denied United from taking the lead, getting a firm hand to Anierís close-range shot.

Hibs also had a decent opportunity to take the lead through Jason Cummings, the striker cutting onto his left before lashing an effort at Kawashima, who diverted the ball away from danger with a strong left handed punch. Neither Hibs or United were able to make the breakthrough across the 120 minutes, so to penalties the game went.

After a disappointing start to the shootout, with both Spittal and Mckay missing Unitedís first two efforts, Hibs converted all of their spot-kicks, sending the Edinburgh side into the final of the Scottish Cup. A horrible end to a game that, on another day, United could perhaps have won in normal time.

Match report written by Joe James

Photography by DUFC Official

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info