Ross County 2 - 3 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Saturday, March 5th, 2016, 3:00 PM at GlobalEnergy Stadium
Attendance: 3,052
Referee: Craig Thomson
Ross County Dundee Utd

Liam Boyce (24)
Brian Graham (pen.) (60)
Henri Anier (57)
Henri Anier (65)
Billy Mckay (89)

Team Managers
Jim McIntyre Mixu Paatelainen

Starting Eleven
Gary Woods
Marcus Fraser
Paul Quinn
Andrew Davies
Ricky Foster
Jonathan Franks
Jackson Irvine
Martin Woods
Michael Gardyne
Liam Boyce
Brian Graham
Luis Zwick
Mark Durnan
Paul Dixon
Coll Donaldson
Seán Dillon
Blair Spittal
Paul Paton
John Rankin
Henri Anier
Billy Mckay
Ryan Dow

Mark Foden
Christopher Robertson
Ian McShane
Stewart Murdoch
Alex Schalk
Raffaele De Vita
Chris McLaughlin
Joe McGovern
Kyle Knoyle
Scott Fraser
Chris Erskine
Florent Sinama Pongolle
Simon Murray
Edward Ofere

Ian McShane for Martin Woods (61)
Alex Schalk for Brian Graham (68)
Raffaele De Vita for Jonathan Franks (76)
Kyle Knoyle for Paul Paton (66)
Chris Erskine for Henri Anier (83)

None. Henri Anier (58)
John Rankin (75)

Red Cards
None. Mark Durnan (59)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Luis Zwick (GK) 14 apps -
Mark Durnan 29 apps2 goals
Seán Dillon 318 apps7 goals
Paul Dixon 185 apps5 goals
Coll Donaldson 16 apps -
Paul Paton 87 apps6 goals
John Rankin 196 apps13 goals
Blair Spittal 61 apps9 goals
Henri Anier 19 apps3 goals
Billy Mckay 25 apps11 goals
Ryan Dow 104 apps12 goals
Kyle Knoyle (sub) 2 apps -
Chris Erskine (sub) 66 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Blair Spittal (20 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (32 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 38 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kyle Knoyle (19 years 167 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (32 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 284 days
Domestic Players:10 (55.56 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United made four changes to the side that narrowly lost to Aberdeen in midweek. Luis Zwick, Sean Dillon, Ryan Dow and Henri Anier all came back into the side for the match at the Global Energy Stadium. Former United players, Brian Graham and Michael Gardyne started in attack for the home side.

Backed by a large travelling support, United made a strong start to the game with Anier and Mckay providing great energy in the two forward positions. With Dow sitting in behind the pair, United threatened early on with some good attacking play and a succession of corners. The first real attempt on goal came from Mckay, who tried to dip one in the far corner after a neat turn on the edge of the penalty area. Unfortunately for the striker, the ball soared just over the bar. County retaliated with Liam Boyce. When looking likely to score he was denied, first by Zwick and then by a Paton sliding tackle, as he attempted to convert from a tight angle. As the half progressed, it was County who took a stranglehold on the game and on twenty minutes they went ahead. United failed to deal with a corner kick to the edge of the penalty area and when the ball was returned into the 6 yard box, Boyce rose to nod beyond Zwick. Following the loss of the first goal, United began to build again and by half time they were again dominating play but struggled to manufacture any clear-cut openings.

It was County who were first to threaten in the second half when Jackson Irvine picked up a Dillon clearance before sending a rasping volley just past the post. United were finding space behind the blue defensive wall and a Rankin through ball was almost converted by the on-running Mckay but Woods made a solid save. Ten minutes into the second half and United conjured up an equaliser. Henri Anier was quick to react to Durnan’s deflected effort following a powerful run and he made no mistake, slotting the ball past the County ‘keeper. The goal scorer had barely been booked for his celebration in front of the United fans before County were let back into the game. Mark Durnan was adjudged to have fouled Brian Graham in the box and referee Craig Thomson dealt United a double blow by awarding a penalty and sending Durnan off. Former United man, Graham, took the kick himself and put his side in front again. The Tangerines were not perturbed by the loss of another goal and continued to attack in search of a quick retort. Rankin found space on the left and his deep cross was anticipated by Anier, who ghosted in to slam home at the far post. If fans thought both sides would settle for a replay, they couldn’t be more wrong. For the remainder of the game, play swung back and forth, with United and County desperate to clinch a victory. A Spittal run and drive was saved by Woods, Rankin shot over and Dixon tried his luck from distance as United continued to turn the screw. Then with the clock running down towards full time, United completed a stunning turnaround. Spittal picked up the ball on the right side and swung in a dangerous ball across the six-yard line. Billy Mckay created a yard of space to escape his marker and he dived to head past Woods for a late and dramatic winner. Boyce did have a headed opportunity on full time but he squandered it to let United off the hook. United fans celebrated a fantastic cup win at the final whistle and sent the team up the tunnel to rapturous applause.

Formation: 3-4-1-2
Captain: Paul Paton
Arab Archive 'Man of the Match': Henri Anier

Match Photos courtesy of Riki Grauer - More photos available at:
Dundee United Official Flickr Page

Match report written by Graeme Webster

Photography by DUFC Official

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info