Hibernian 3 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Quarter Final
Wednesday, November 4th, 2015, 7:45 PM at Easter Road
Attendance: 11,891
Referee: Willie Collum
Hibernian Dundee Utd

David Gray (20)
Jason Cummings (pen.) (61)
Lewis Stevenson (90)

Team Managers
Alan Stubbs Mixu Paatelainen

Starting Eleven
Mark Oxley
David Gray
Liam Fontaine
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
James Keatings
Fraser Fyvie
Liam Henderson
John McGinn
Jason Cummings
Dominique Malonga
Michal Szromnik
Mark Durnan
Ryan McGowan
Seán Dillon
John Souttar
Scott Fraser
Blair Spittal
Aaron Kuhl
John Rankin
Adam Taggart
Billy Mckay

Farid El Alagui
Martin Boyle
Islam Feruz
Danny Carmichael
Darren McGregor
Adam Eckersley
Antonio Reguero
Luis Zwick
Coll Donaldson
Jamie Robson
Charlie Telfer
Aidan Connolly
Simon Murray
Darko Bodul

Darren McGregor for John McGinn (68)
Martin Boyle for James Keatings (83)
Farid El Alagui for Dominique Malonga (86)
Simon Murray for Aaron Kuhl (71)

Fraser Fyvie (55)
Liam Henderson (66)
Mark Durnan (47)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Michal Szromnik (GK) 6 apps -
Mark Durnan 14 apps -
John Souttar 64 apps2 goals
Ryan McGowan 32 apps1 goal
Seán Dillon 304 apps6 goals
John Rankin 178 apps11 goals
Scott Fraser 14 apps1 goal
Blair Spittal 43 apps5 goals
Aaron Kuhl 7 apps -
Adam Taggart 7 apps -
Billy Mckay 9 apps4 goals
Simon Murray (sub) 10 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Souttar (19 years 44 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (32 years 138 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 47 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Robson (17 years 324 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (32 years 138 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 49 days
Domestic Players:10 (55.56 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Szromnik kept his place between the sticks as Mixu Paatelainen stuck with the same side which dug in to beat Ross County at the weekend.

It was to prove an exceptionally busy evening for Szromnik, who was a busy man from the start as Hibs, buoyed by their weekend victory over Championship leaders Rangers, dominated from the first whistle and put United on the rack. Lively striker Jason Cummings posted a notice of intent within 60 seconds, when his shot from distance fizzed wide, then turned creator to set up Liam Henderson, who fired a dangerous effort just past the post. Szromnik was then called into action for the first time when he had to stretch to reach a Cummings effort from distance. The Hibs chances continued, with Szromnik again saving the day with a fine one-handed save from a powerful long-range effort from John McGinn. Durnan then slid in to deny Cummings with a fantastic last-ditch tackle, then a wicked James Keatings volley just missed. After 19 minutes of intense pressure, United finally succumbed when Hibs took the lead from an unlikely source as full back David Gray blistered an effort from outside the box into the corner of the net, leaving Szromnik with little chance. At the other end, United won their first corner when Dillon raced forward but was tackled. Although Scott Fraser’s corner was cleared, Kuhl managed to win the ball back and release the young midfielder, who beat his man before firing a shot just over.

Within seconds of the restart, Hibs nearly doubled their lead when they attacked straight from the kick off, with the resultant shot smacking off the post. United tried to get back in the game and won a corner when a Rankin cross was deflected behind. Fraser’s corner was delicately chipped to the back post and nearly deceived everyone, only to be desperately headed away off the line. On the hour mark, United looked desperately unlucky to lose a penalty when a corner appeared to strike John Rankin’s arm without him knowing much about it, only for referee Willie Collum to point to the spot. After lengthy protests by the United players, Jason Cummings sent Szromnik the wrong way to put the home side 2-0 up. With 20 minutes to go, Paatelainen tried to change things by bringing on striker Simon Murray for midfielder Kuhl. Within seconds, the energetic attacker released McKay with a good through ball only for the Northern Irish marksman to just fail to get on the end of it. In the closing stages Hibs again turned up the heat on United’s hard-pressed defence. Former United striker Farid El Alagui, on as a late substitute, then failed to take an opportunity to rub salt in his former employer’s wounds when he was teed up right in front of goal only to slip at the vital moment. With the game drawing to a close, Hibs scored a third with the last kick of the game as a Lewis Stevenson shot deflected off Fraser and spun into the net to complete a miserable night for United.

Manager's Comment:
“Hibs totally deserved their victory. We were off the pace totally. Passing wasn't good enough. All credit to the Hibs players, their movement was excellent and we didn't match that. We have a big job, that's nothing new, we knew that beforehand. Of course we can turn this around. It's going to be a long winter for us. We're not looking for a quick fix. Of course we'll take it if there is. We're prepared to work and make this right."

Fan's Comment:
“Never at the races this evening. A step back after a couple of steps forward in recent weeks.”

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Captain: Seán Dillon
Arab Archive 'Man of the Match': Michal Szromnik

Photography by DUFC Official

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info