Dundee Utd 4 - 1 Partick Thistle

League Cup - 3rd Round
Wednesday, September 25th, 2013, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,778
Referee: Calum Murray
Dundee Utd  Partick Thistle

David Goodwillie (33)
David Goodwillie (44)
Ryan Dow (87)
David Goodwillie (90)
Christie Elliot (89)

Team Managers
Jackie McNamara
Alan Archibald

Starting Eleven
Radoslaw Cierzniak
Gavin Gunning
Mark Wilson
Andy Robertson
Calum Butcher
Paul Paton
John Rankin
Stuart Armstrong
David Goodwillie
Brian Graham
Nadir Çiftçi
Scott Fox
Stephen O'Donnell
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
Conrad Balatoni
Sean Welsh
Ross Forbes
Christie Elliot
Mark Kerr
Kallum Higginbotham
Kris Doolan

Marc McCallum
Seán Dillon
John Souttar
Ryan Gauld
Ryan Dow
Paul Gallacher
Steven Lawless
Isaac Osbourne
James Craigen
John Baird

Ryan Dow for Brian Graham (51)
Ryan Gauld for Nadir Çiftçi (76)
John Souttar for Paul Paton (90)
John Baird for Kris Doolan (51)
Steven Lawless for Ross Forbes (65)
James Craigen for Kallum Higginbotham (76)

None. Mark Kerr (25)
Christie Elliot (73)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK) 55 apps -
Andy Robertson 9 apps1 goal
Mark Wilson 140 apps11 goals
Gavin Gunning 69 apps6 goals
Stuart Armstrong 91 apps8 goals
Calum Butcher 6 apps -
Paul Paton 9 apps -
John Rankin 96 apps7 goals
Nadir Çiftçi 8 apps4 goals
David Goodwillie 145 apps44 goals
Brian Graham 7 apps -
John Souttar (sub) 13 apps -
Ryan Gauld (sub) 20 apps3 goals
Ryan Dow (sub) 35 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Andy Robertson (19 years 203 days)
Oldest Player:Radoslaw Cierzniak (30 years 162 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 359 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Souttar (17 years 4 days)
Oldest Player:Radoslaw Cierzniak (30 years 162 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 334 days
Domestic Players:10 (62.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United started the game slowly with the Partick dominating the early possession and they won a couple of early corners. Just before the half hour United made their first chance of the night. Armstrong pounced on a loose pass from the visitors defence and he slipped a pass to Graham who was thwarted by the advancing Fox. Four minutes later and slightly against the run of play United took the lead. Ciftci found Paton on the right and his low cross into the box was misjudged by Balatoni and David Goodwillie was on hand to knock the ball past Fox. Shortly after United won a corner which Wilson took and found Butcher who volleyed over. With half time beckoning United doubled their advantage. Firstly Robertson set up Ciftci in the box and he tried to score at the near post but Fox turned the ball round the post. Wilson's resulting corner found the head of David Goodwillie and his header found the back of the net off the back post.

With 20 minutes remaining Elliot was booked for a rash challenge on Ciftci. The Turkish forward then shot from distance but his effort sailed well over the crossbar. United then went very close to extending their lead. Dow and Armstrong combined again and this time the keeper saved the shot from Armstrong . The ball fell back into his path and he crossed to Ciftci who headed inches wide of the target. That was Ciftci's last involvement of the evening as he was replaced by Ryan Gauld. The impressive Robertson then created a great chance for United but his fine cross just failed to find the outstretched leg if Goodwillie. With five minutes remaining United as good as booked their place in the next round. Armstrong was once again involved when his pass was well controlled by Goodwillie. United's on loan star turned and hit a shot that came back off the post but Ryan Dow was on hand to slot into the empty net. There was still time for two further goals. Firstly the lively visitors pulled one back when a cross to the back post was headed home by Christie Elliott. In the dying seconds Souttar came on for Paton and then with Thistle pressing United broke forward and a sweeping move involving Gauld then Armstrong resulted in David Goodwillie slotting the ball past the helpless Fox to secure a 4-1 win and his first hat trick since his return from Blackburn Rovers.

Photography by DUFC Official

Last Sunday's match against Motherwell served up the old cliche of a game of two halves. Motherwell were better than us in the first-half when I thought they dominated. In fact, it took us 40 minutes to win our first header in the centre of defence. But I was delighted with the spirit shown in the second half; we got up and at them and caused them a lot of problems. I thought we were terrific after the break and the lads battled well to go 2-1 up. And I was happy that Andrew Robertson managed to get his first goal, because he has had a few chances recently. We came very close to winning it, as Stuart Armstrong could have put the game to bed to go 3-1 up, but unfortunately he side-footed into the keeper.

It was a good match with a lot of energy throughout and four excellent goals. It was a certainly a good Strike from the lad to earn them a draw. However, in the final analysis, having been at home, I rate it two points dropped, which is disappointing. Finding consistency in results, and particularly winning, if not being at our best, is key to our progress. Tonight, of course, we turn our attention to the League Cup with a rematch against my former club Partick Thistle whom we met on the opening day of the season. That first meeting was a very open and entertaining game and the only thing it lacked was goals. A major reason for that were two fantastic performances from both keepers. It was a good way to herald the new season. Facing Partick Thistle this evening was the hardest draw we could have had as they were the highest of the unseeded teams, but importantly we have home advantage. If you are going to go and win trophies, you have to beat the best no matter what the circumstances and hopefully, we can do just that tonight.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet