Dumbarton 2 - 3 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 2nd Round
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013, 7:45 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,045
Referee: Alan Muir
Dumbarton Dundee Utd

Kevin Smith (34)
Mitch Megginson (87)
Nadir Çiftçi (69)
Ryan Gauld (77)
Nadir Çiftçi (89)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Jackie McNamara

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Paul McGinn
Scott Smith
Andy Graham
Aaron Barry
Chris Turner
Steven McDougall
Garry Fleming
Hugh Murray
Kevin Smith
Bryan Prunty
Radoslaw Cierzniak
Seán Dillon
Mark Wilson
John Souttar
Andy Robertson
Calum Butcher
Paul Paton
John Rankin
Ryan Gauld
David Goodwillie
Brian Graham

Stephen Grindlay
Josh Horne
Ali McKerracher
Mitch Megginson
Colin Nish
Marc McCallum
Mark Millar
Michael Gardyne
Chris Erskine
Nadir Çiftçi

Mitch Megginson for Garry Fleming (67)
Colin Nish for Steven McDougall (79)
Ali McKerracher for Scott Smith (79)
Nadir Çiftçi for Mark Wilson (63)
Chris Erskine for David Goodwillie (76)
Mark Millar for Ryan Gauld (83)

None. Brian Graham (31)
Paul Paton (82)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK) 51 apps -
Andy Robertson 5 apps -
John Souttar 10 apps -
Mark Wilson 139 apps11 goals
Seán Dillon 239 apps3 goals
Ryan Gauld 16 apps2 goals
Calum Butcher 5 apps -
Paul Paton 5 apps -
John Rankin 92 apps7 goals
David Goodwillie 141 apps41 goals
Brian Graham 4 apps -
Chris Erskine (sub) 5 apps -
Mark Millar (sub) 21 apps -
Nadir Çiftçi (sub) 4 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Souttar (16 years 341 days)
Oldest Player:Radoslaw Cierzniak (30 years 134 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 304 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Souttar (16 years 341 days)
Oldest Player:Radoslaw Cierzniak (30 years 134 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 248 days
Domestic Players:11 (68.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Dundee United, playing in the red heritage strip for the first time in 50 years, progressed to the third round of the League Cup after a pulsating encounter at the Bet Butler Stadium, Dumbarton.

United’s first clear cut chance came in seven minutes when Mark Wilson, making his return debut, swung in a cross which David Goodwillie met with a powerful header but failed to convert. United then had a claim for a penalty turned away when a Graham shot struck a Dumbarton hand. The referee waved the claims away adjudging the handball to have been unintentional. United continued their period of pressure with a series of chances. Ewings saved brilliantly at close range from Graham, then Gauld freed the impressive Roberston whose shot flew over. Robertson was giving the Dumbarton defence a tough time down the left wing, swinging a number of crosses into the box. Several of the crosses fell to Brian Graham, but the big striker was unable to trouble the goalkeeper. On 33 minutes, with what was their first shot on target, Dumbarton took the lead. Kevin Smith collected the ball just inside the box, cleverly turned Souttar and slotted the ball neatly into the net to Cierzniak’s right. United responded well and almost equalised when Ryan Gauld struck a superb shot from 30 yards which cracked off the crossbar with Ewings stranded. Despite forcing a succession of corners and a further opportunity for Graham which went wide, United left the field 1-0 down at half time.

United started the second half in determined fashion, with Goodwillie winning a free kick just outside the box after dancing past three defenders, then Graham poked a shot against the post after a nice through ball from Rankin. Having survived this early pressure, Dumbarton grew in confidence and almost scored a second when Barry’s shot was blocked by Robertson. United were pressing, but were finding it difficult to break down the resolute Dumbarton defence. Jackie McNamara then brought on Ciftci for Wilson, who made an almost immediate impact. In 69 minutes, Paton played a long through ball which was misjudged by Smith in the Dumbarton defence, allowing Ciftci to control before driving a low shot past Ewings for United’s equaliser - to the relief of the United support. United were now back in control and continued to press for a second. In 77 minutes it arrived. Again Ciftci was involved as he dribbled into the box before cutting the ball back into a ruck of players. The ball broke to Gauld who skilfully made a yard of space for himself before firing into the net from an acute angle. 2-1 United! Dumbarton were not going to allow this game to slip away, and to their credit continued to push for an equaliser. With three minutes remaining, sloppy defending from United led to Megginson collecting the ball on the edge of the box. He then curled a beautiful shot into the top right hand corner of the net for Dumbarton’s equaliser: 2-2! The game looked set for extra time. But with both teams continuing to look for a winner, Ciftci scored his second and United’s third to clinch the victory in the 89th minute. Played through by fellow substitute Erskine, he again scored low to the keeper’s left: 3-2!

Match Photos courtesy of Riki Grauer - More photos available at:
Dundee United Official Flickr Page


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info