Dundee 0 - 3 Dundee Utd

League - SPL
Sunday, December 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 11,419
Referee: Willie Collum
Dundee Dundee Utd

None. Keith Watson (17)
Jon Daly (pen.) (71)
Willo Flood (88)

Team Managers
Barry Smith Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Rab Douglas
Gary Irvine
Matt Lockwood
Kyle Benedictus
Declan Gallagher
Ian Davidson
Nicky Riley
Kevin McBride
John Baird
Steven Milne
Jim McAllister
Radoslaw Cierzniak
Barry Douglas
Brian McLean
Gavin Gunning
Keith Watson
Rudi Skácel
Willo Flood
John Rankin
Stuart Armstrong
Jon Daly
Johnny Russell

Alex Baird
Neil McGregor
Lewis Toshney
Ryan Conroy
Martin Boyle
Jamie Reid
Kevin Buchan
Steve Banks
Paddy Barrett
Richie Ryan
Mark Millar
Michael Gardyne
Miloš Lačnŭ
Ryan Dow

Martin Boyle for Steven Milne (80) Richie Ryan for Rudi Skácel (75)
Michael Gardyne for Johnny Russell (90)

Ian Davidson (85) Barry Douglas (20)
Rudi Skácel (55)
Brian McLean (67)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK) 21 apps -
Barry Douglas 54 apps3 goals
Keith Watson 88 apps5 goals
Gavin Gunning 56 apps4 goals
Brian McLean 16 apps -
John Rankin 66 apps6 goals
Rudi Skácel 10 apps -
Willo Flood 128 apps4 goals
Stuart Armstrong 60 apps3 goals
Jon Daly 179 apps66 goals
Johnny Russell 104 apps36 goals
Richie Ryan (sub) 32 apps -
Michael Gardyne (sub) 16 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (20 years 259 days)
Oldest Player:Rudi Skácel (33 years 154 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 120 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Paddy Barrett (19 years 145 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (40 years 314 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 158 days
Domestic Players:8 (44.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the first competitive Dundee Derby at Dens Park since April 2005, Peter Houston kept with the same team which had defeated Stranraer 5-0 in the Scottish Cup the previous weekend. United had triumphed 3-0 at Dens in the pre-season friendly between the sides and the 4,500 Arabs housed in the Bob Shankly and Main Stands were hoping for a similar outcome on this occasion.

The hosts started the brighter in the opening exchanges applying some early pressure on the United back four. Steven Milne played Nicky Riley down the right hand side but his ball into the area was cleared by Willo Flood. Jim McAllister also tested the Tangerine defence, however, his cross was cleared by Gavin Gunning. United’s first chance of the half came on 15 minutes when Willo Flood took the ball beyond Kevin McBride. Flood’s cross into the box was cleared by Milne but his header fell to Stuart Armstrong whose 20-yard effort was deflected for a corner. The Terrors would take the lead from the resultant corner. Barry Douglas delivered his left-footed cross to the near-post and Keith Watson peeled off his marker and with a superb diving header the full-back sent the ball across the line to make it 1-0 to Dundee United. Dundee were by no means out of the game and in the 26th minute McAlister’s high flicked pass found John Baird. However, despite forcing a save from Cierzniak, the offside flag had been raised. Dundee’s best chance of the game came on 29 minutes. Matt Lockwood’s cross found the head of McAlister, who nodded to Milne, but he volleyed over the bar from eight yards out missing what can only be described as a “sitter”.

The second half started with United looking the sharper of the sides and Stuart Armstrong tested Rab Douglas in goal when an excellent pass from Johnny Russell allowed the midfielder to get his shot off. Referee Wllie Collum did not endear himself to the home fans by denying them a penalty. Brian McLean, in attempting to pull his hand away, inadvertently touched the ball with his hand. However, Collum adjudged the contact to be accidental. On 50 minutes, United almost doubled their advantage when Johnny Russell smacked the post with a fine strike leaving Douglas completely beaten. The second United goal came on 71 minutes. Stuart Armstrong did fantastically well to block an attempted clearance on the left and played the ball to Daly whose shot was straight at Rab Douglas, but Collum adjudged Armstrong to have been fouled by Gary Irvine. Jon Daly himself stepped up to convert powerfully into Douglas’s left corner, making it 2-0. In the 88th minute the game was put beyond any doubt. Willo Flood received the ball at the edge of the box and his shot deflected off Kyle Benedictus. Douglas got his hand to it but the ball rolled across the line to make it 3-0.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info