Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Celtic

Scottish Cup - Final
Saturday, May 18th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 59,256
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
Dundee Utd  Celtic

Stuart Beedie (54)
Davie Provan (76)
Frank McGarvey (84)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
David Hay

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Billy Kirkwood
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Stuart Beedie
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Pat Bonner
Willie McStay
Danny McGrain
Roy Aitken
Tom McAdam
Murdo MacLeod
Davie Provan
Paul McStay
Maurice Johnston
Tommy Burns
Frank McGarvey

John Holt
Tommy Coyne
Brian McClair
Pierce O'Leary

John Holt for Stuart Beedie (78)
Brian McClair for Tommy Burns (65)
Pierce O'Leary for Paul McStay (75)

Billy Kirkwood (39)
Willie McStay (73)
Danny McGrain (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 674 apps3 goals
Maurice Malpas 182 apps6 goals
Paul Hegarty 511 apps68 goals
Dave Narey 551 apps36 goals
Richard Gough 206 apps27 goals
Billy Kirkwood 354 apps68 goals
Ralph Milne 235 apps68 goals
Eamonn Bannon 295 apps79 goals
Stuart Beedie 39 apps7 goals
Paul Sturrock 449 apps144 goals
Davie Dodds 324 apps137 goals
John Holt (sub) 328 apps23 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 294 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 127 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 133 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Tommy Coyne (22 years 191 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 127 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 29 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A milestone was reached in Scottish football in 1985 when Hampden Park hosted the 100th Scottish Cup Final. Although the first final had taken place in 1874 the competition had not been played during the First and Second World Wars.

Davie Hay had contoversially left top scorer Brian McClair on the bench before hand. The first half was dull and uneventful but when Stuart Beedie scored for United in 54 minutes the Tannadice side were looking in complete control.

However it was only David Hay's substitution of Pierce O'Leary for Paul McStay which changed the course of the game. This allowed Roy Aitken to move up into midfield. McClair also replaced the out of sorts Tommy Burns and suddenly Celtic had more attacking options and they pressed United back.

In 76 minutes Davie Provan equalised with a spectacular bending free kick and Celtic then pushed forward again in search of a winner. Both McGarvey and Johnston missed good chances before Aitken charged down the right and swung over a cross for Frank McGarvey to score with a spectacular flying header. United looked a beaten side after this goal and were unable to recover.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet