Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Semi Final Replay
Wednesday, April 17th, 1985, 7:30 PM at Tynecastle Park
Attendance: 10,771
Referee: Hugh Alexander (Kilmarnock)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Paul Sturrock (5)
Stuart Beedie (60)
Ian Angus (86)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Ralph Milne
Stuart Beedie
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Jim Leighton
Stewart McKimmie
Neale Cooper
Billy Stark
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Eric Black
Neil Simpson
John Hewitt
Doug Bell
Steve Cowan

Dave Beaumont
Tommy McQueen
Ian Angus

Dave Beaumont for Ralph Milne (86)
Tommy McQueen for John Hewitt (65)
Ian Angus for Doug Bell (66)

Paul Sturrock (5)
Billy Kirkwood (54)
Neale Cooper (10)
Willie Miller (44)

Red Cards
Davie Dodds (64)
Neale Cooper (57)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 670 apps3 goals
Richard Gough 203 apps27 goals
John Holt 325 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 177 apps6 goals
Dave Narey 549 apps36 goals
Eamonn Bannon 290 apps79 goals
Billy Kirkwood 350 apps68 goals
Ralph Milne 230 apps68 goals
Stuart Beedie 35 apps5 goals
Paul Sturrock 444 apps142 goals
Davie Dodds 322 apps137 goals
Dave Beaumont (sub) 23 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 263 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 96 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 24 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 134 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 96 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 216 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The replay went ahead at Tynecastle against both clubs' wishes but United put any distractions of that behind them as they attacked Dons right from the start. Indeed we could have been two up by the time Paul Sturrock nodded us ahead after only five minutes.

Aberdeen failed to pose any great threat in the opening 45 minutes with an Eric Black effort their only serious attempt. After Aberdeen lost Cooper, United struck with a decisive goal. Ralph Milne ran half the length of the pitch before crossing to Stuart Beedie who cracked in a volley of the most ferocious velocity.

United, too, were reduced to 10 men when Davie Dodds was dismissed for a foul on Willie Miller. Nothing other than an easy passage looked in store until Ian Angus fired in an accurate volley to give United and their supporters four anxious minutes until the final whistle.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>

Ticket stub / Admission info