Aberdeen 4 - 2 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, March 30th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Pittodrie
Attendance: 15,575
Referee: Jim Duncan (Gorebridge)
Aberdeen Dundee Utd

John Hewitt (36)
John Hewitt (43)
Billy Stark (70)
Steve Cowan (71)
Eamonn Bannon (48)
John Reilly (77)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jim Leighton
Stewart McKimmie
Tommy McQueen
Billy Stark
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Eric Black
Doug Bell
John Hewitt
Ian Angus
Steve Cowan
Billy Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Alex Taylor
Billy Kirkwood
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Stuart Beedie

Neale Cooper
Willie Falconer
John Reilly
Gordon McLeod

Neale Cooper for Tommy McQueen (62)
Willie Falconer for Steve Cowan (74)
John Reilly for Stuart Beedie (74)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 13 apps -
Dave Beaumont 20 apps2 goals
Richard Gough 200 apps27 goals
Maurice Malpas 173 apps6 goals
Paul Hegarty 506 apps68 goals
Eamonn Bannon 286 apps77 goals
Alex Taylor 40 apps4 goals
Billy Kirkwood 346 apps68 goals
Paul Sturrock 440 apps140 goals
Davie Dodds 318 apps136 goals
Stuart Beedie 32 apps4 goals
John Reilly (sub) 73 apps25 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 116 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 256 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 195 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (17 years 214 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 256 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 267 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Richard Gough made his 200th competitive appearance for the Club.
John Reilly scored for the 25th time for the Club.

Aberdeen's quest for the Championship took another step towards reality with this win, but the contest was a great deal closer than the scoreline suggests. In an even first half, United with four first team regulars absent, more than held their own, but went behind due to the opportunism of John Hewitt.

Firstly, he squeezed in a shot at the near post and then smacked a 20-yarder past Billy Thomson. The second half was only four minutes old when Paul Sturrock was downed in the box and Eamonn Bannon
followed up Jim Leighton's initial save of his spot-kick to reduce the arrears.

Two goals in as many minutes by Billy Stark and Steve Cowan put Dons in an almost impregnable position, although it failed to subdue a fighting United side who pulled one back through a hooked shot from John Reilly and it could easily have been closer as United battled right to the end.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet