St Mirren 1 - 4 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Saturday, March 9th, 1985, 3:00 PM at Love Street
Attendance: 10,518
Referee: Bob Valentine (Dundee)
St Mirren Dundee Utd

Ian Scanlon (pen.) (26) Richard Gough (11)
Davie Dodds (28)
Davie Dodds (80)
Eamonn Bannon (89)

Team Managers
Alex Miller Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Campbell Money
Tommy Wilson
Billy Abercrombie
Mark Fulton
Peter Godfrey
Steve Clarke
Tony Fitzpatrick
Jim Rooney
Brian Gallacher
Kenny McDowall
Ian Scanlon
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Peter Mackie
David Winnie
Dave Beaumont
Alex Taylor

Peter Mackie for Kenny McDowall (77) None.

Billy Abercromby (44)
Steve Clark (46)
Ralph Milne

Red Cards
None. Paul Sturrock (46)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 664 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 502 apps68 goals
Richard Gough 196 apps26 goals
John Holt 320 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 169 apps5 goals
Dave Narey 542 apps35 goals
Eamonn Bannon 282 apps74 goals
Ralph Milne 225 apps68 goals
Billy Kirkwood 342 apps68 goals
Davie Dodds 314 apps133 goals
Paul Sturrock 438 apps140 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 224 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 187 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 95 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 242 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Love Street, so often a graveyard for United's Scottish Cup hopes, for once brought United tangible reward.

Backed by a travelling support of well over 3000, United won this tie comfortably, despite being reduced to 10 men almost immediately after half time. Richard Gough gave us the lead after 11 minutes when he tucked away a Bannon lay-off. Eamonn Bannon then unwittingly contrived Saints' equaliser when the ball struck his arm in the box. Ian Scanlon swept home the spot-kick. Within two minutes United's lead was restored when Paul Sturrock chased a loose pass back, Money failed to hold the ball and Davie Dodds, following up, scored easily.

The second half opened with the dismissal of Paul Sturrock but notwithstanding the numerical disadvantage, Saints rarely threatened to equalise. Davie Dodds met a Ralph Milne cross for the third goal with ten minutes left and then Eamonn Bannon's looping header from Richard Gough added the fourth.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet