Dundee Utd 4 - 0 Dumbarton

League - Premier Division
Saturday, February 23rd, 1985, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,693
Referee: W Knowles (Inverurie)
Mascot: Stephen Bushell
Dundee Utd  Dumbarton

Ralph Milne (17)
John Reilly (25)
Richard Gough (76)
Paul Sturrock (77)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Davie Wilson

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
John Holt
Dave Beaumont
John Reilly
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Gordon Arthur
Alan Kay
Graeme Sinclair
Steve McCahill
Don McNeill
Mark Clougherty
Kenny Ashwood
Albert Craig
John Bourke
Tommy Coyle
Gerry Crawley

Gordon McLeod
Paul Sturrock
Joe Coyle
Jim Simpson

Paul Sturrock for John Reilly (57)
Gordon McLeod for Eamonn Bannon (80)
Joe Coyle for Gerry Crawley (72)

None. Graeme Sinclair (22)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 662 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 540 apps35 goals
Paul Hegarty 500 apps68 goals
Richard Gough 194 apps25 goals
John Holt 318 apps23 goals
Dave Beaumont 19 apps2 goals
John Reilly 70 apps24 goals
Ralph Milne 223 apps68 goals
Eamonn Bannon 280 apps73 goals
Billy Kirkwood 340 apps68 goals
Davie Dodds 312 apps131 goals
Gordon McLeod (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Paul Sturrock (sub) 437 apps140 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 81 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 43 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 312 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (17 years 179 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (37 years 43 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 92 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Gordon McLeod(Signed September 1st, 1982)

Paul Hegarty made his 500th competitive appearance for the Club.
Richard Gough scored for the 25th time for the Club.

United surmounted this hurdle with a fair degree of ease and two early goals really killed the match as a contest. Dave Beaumont was the instigator of both these with two long throws. His first found Ralph Milne who dispatched the ball swiftly past Arthur. John Reilly got the second when Dave's throw was headed on to John whose low shot beat Arthur at his right hand post.

The game then fell into a bit of a rut and only the introduction of Paul Sturrock in the 57th minute livened up proceedings. However, it was only with quarter of an hour to go that United extended their lead. Richard Gough made a 50 yard dash upfield, took a return pass from Davie Dodds and chipped the ball past Arthur. A minute later Paul Sturrock wheeled on to a Milne pass and his angular drive gave Arthur no chance.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet