Dundee Utd 2 - 3 Manchester United

UEFA Cup - 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, December 12th, 1984, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 21,821
Referee: Alain Delmer (France)
Mascot: Barry Crockett
Dundee Utd  Manchester United

Davie Dodds (26)
Paul Hegarty (58)
Mark Hughes (13)
Gary McGinnis (o.g.) (40)
Arnold Muhren (76)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ron Atkinson

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
John Holt
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Gary McGinnis
Richard Gough
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Gary Bailey
John Gidman
Arthur Albiston
Remi Moses
Gordon McQueen
Mike Duxbury
Bryan Robson
Gordon Strachan
Frank Stapleton
Mark Hughes
Arnold Muhren

Billy Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Alex Taylor
Stuart Beedie
Tommy Coyne
Jeff Wealands
Norman Whiteside
Jesper Olsen
Alan Brazil
Clayton Blackmore

Alex Taylor for Billy Kirkwood (54)

Eamonn Bannon (88)
Bryan Robson (70)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 652 apps3 goals
John Holt 308 apps23 goals
Dave Narey 530 apps35 goals
Maurice Malpas 158 apps5 goals
Paul Hegarty 490 apps67 goals
Gary McGinnis 21 apps1 goal
Richard Gough 184 apps21 goals
Eamonn Bannon 271 apps70 goals
Billy Kirkwood 334 apps66 goals
Davie Dodds 303 apps128 goals
Paul Sturrock 429 apps137 goals
Alex Taylor (sub) 28 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gary McGinnis (21 years 58 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 335 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 19 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (21 years 8 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 335 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 328 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Dreams of conquering the star-studded Old Trafford side evaporated thanks to three highly unfortunate goals. The task of pulling back a single goal deficit for tha fifth time over the two legs proved just too great.

Manchester United went ahead when Mark Hughes pounced on a Dave Narey clearance to hit a 12-yard snap shot past Hamish McAlpine. The equaliser came 13 minutes later. Paul Sturrock drifted over to the left and his cross was turned home by Davie Dodds. A tragic own goal by Gary McGinnis from a Strachan corner gave the Reds a half-time lead.

The second half was less than 15 minutes old when Paul Hegarty headed in our equaliser. The tie, evenly balanced now, swung Manchester United's way when Arnold Muhren's well-timed volley struck defender Gordon McQueen, the deflection beating Hamish McAlpine.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info