Manchester United 2 - 2 Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup - 3rd Round 1st Leg
Wednesday, November 28th, 1984, 7:30 PM at Old Trafford
Attendance: 48,278
Referee: Bogdan Dotchev (Bulgaria)
Manchester United Dundee Utd

Gordon Strachan (pen.) (9)
Bryan Robson (50)
Paul Hegarty (47)
Paul Sturrock (61)

Team Managers
Ron Atkinson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Gary Bailey
John Gidman
Arthur Albiston
Remi Moses
Gordon McQueen
Mike Duxbury
Bryan Robson
Gordon Strachan
Mark Hughes
Norman Whiteside
Jesper Olsen
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Stuart Beedie

Steve Pears
Frank Stapleton
Arnold Muhren
Paul McGrath
Alan Brazil
Billy Thomson
Gary McGinnis
Iain Munro
Dave Beaumont
Tommy Coyne

Frank Stapleton for Norman Whiteside (74) None.

None. Paul Hegarty (57)
Stuart Beedie (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 650 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 527 apps35 goals
Paul Hegarty 487 apps66 goals
Richard Gough 181 apps21 goals
John Holt 305 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 155 apps5 goals
Eamonn Bannon 268 apps69 goals
Billy Kirkwood 332 apps66 goals
Davie Dodds 300 apps126 goals
Paul Sturrock 427 apps136 goals
Stuart Beedie 23 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 123 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 321 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 110 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Beaumont (20 years 359 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 321 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 196 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Davie Dodds made his 300th competitive appearance for the Club.

Our first visit to Old Trafford attracted a large Tannadice following and a memorable occasion.

After a torrid first half United retained their composure and finished the game strongly. A Gordon McQueen header brought Manchester United a penalty, forcing Maurice Malpas into a goalkeeping act on the line. Gordon Strachan scored from the spot. A series of fine saves by Hamish McAlpine restricted the home side to that narrow lead.

On the restart United struck. Richard Gough headed a free kick across the goal and Paul Hegarty turned the ball home. That joy was short-lived, Bryan Robson sneaking in to score from an Olsen free kick.

A second penalty award, this time missed by Gordon Strachan, proved to be the turning point. Paul Sturrock latched on to a probing ball from Stuart Beedie to equalise and from then on a draw looked to be the least reward available as the Tangerines dominated the closing stages.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info