Dundee Utd 7 - 0 Greenock Morton

League - Premier Division
Saturday, November 17th, 1984, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,562
Referee: Douglas Downie (Edinburgh)
Mascot: Stephen Dick
Dundee Utd  Greenock Morton

Alex Taylor (18)
Paul Sturrock (24)
Paul Sturrock (52)
Maurice Malpas (53)
Paul Sturrock (67)
Paul Sturrock (69)
Paul Sturrock (82)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Willie McLean

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Alex Taylor
Paul Sturrock
Stuart Beedie
Tommy Coyne
Craig Adams
Jim Wilson
Jimmy Holmes
Alex O'Hara
Alan Mackin
Jim Duffy
Doug Robertson
Danny Docherty
Jim Gillespie
Ian Clinging
Willie Pettigrew

Gary McGinnis
John Clark
John McClurg
Tommy Turner

Gary McGinnis for Alex Taylor (52)
John McClurg for Alex O'Hara (17)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 648 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 525 apps35 goals
Richard Gough 179 apps21 goals
John Holt 303 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 153 apps5 goals
Paul Hegarty 485 apps65 goals
Eamonn Bannon 266 apps69 goals
Alex Taylor 26 apps3 goals
Paul Sturrock 425 apps135 goals
Stuart Beedie 21 apps3 goals
Tommy Coyne 31 apps7 goals
Gary McGinnis (sub) 19 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Tommy Coyne (22 years 9 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 310 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 201 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Clark (20 years 61 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 310 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 233 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Five-goal Paul Sturrock was undoubtedly the hero of this match which produced the biggest Tannadice victory for a little over a year.

The rout began with a neat move on the left, Eamonn Bannon's cross being volleyed in by Alex Taylor. Then Richard Gough headed down for Paul Sturrock to thump in the second. Around eight chances were created before half time but the score remained at 2-0 after 45 minutes.

United's finishing improved in the second half. Paul Sturrock rounded the 'keeper for the third. Maurice Malpas headed in a fourth at the far post. Stuart Beedie then sent Paul Sturrock clear to complete his hat-trick and Paul Sturrock followed up with a tap in for a fourth from a John Holt header which the 'keeper couldn't hold. A cross from the left brought Paul Sturrock his record breaking fifth goal eight minutes from the end.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet