Heart of Midlothian 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Semi Final 1st Leg
Wednesday, September 26th, 1984, 7:30 PM at Tynecastle Park
Attendance: 10,541
Referee: Alan Ferguson (Giffnock)
Heart of Midlothian Dundee Utd

John Robertson (1) John Clark (50)
John Clark (54)

Team Managers
Alex MacDonald Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Henry Smith
Walter Kidd
George Cowie
Sandy Jardine
Roddie MacDonald
Craig Levein
Dave Bowman
John Robertson
Jimmy Bone
Donald Park
Kenny Black
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Munro
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Ralph Milne
John Clark
Eamonn Bannon
Stuart Beedie
Paul Sturrock

Derek O'Connor
Willie Johnston
Gary McGinnis
Billy Kirkwood

Derek O'Connor for John Robertson (74)
Willie Johnston for Donald Park (87)
Gary McGinnis for John Clark (75)

George Cowie (24)
John Robertson (44)
Roddie MacDonald (45)
Ralph Milne (13)
Paul Hegarty (44)
Maurice Malpas (46)
Iain Munro (70)
Paul Sturrock (87)

Red Cards
Dave Bowman (55) Dave Narey (55)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 636 apps3 goals
Iain Munro 11 apps -
Richard Gough 167 apps19 goals
Maurice Malpas 142 apps4 goals
Dave Narey 517 apps35 goals
Paul Hegarty 473 apps64 goals
Ralph Milne 214 apps65 goals
John Clark 29 apps6 goals
Eamonn Bannon 254 apps64 goals
Stuart Beedie 11 apps3 goals
Paul Sturrock 413 apps128 goals
Gary McGinnis (sub) 11 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Clark (20 years 9 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 258 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 298 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Clark (20 years 9 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 258 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 112 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Fierce as this cup-tie was, United at least had the satisfaction or establishing a lead for the second leg at Tannadice next Wednesday.

Even more impressive was the fact that United had to come from behind. Newly reinstated, Hamish McAlpine's first task was to retrieve John Robertson's deflected free kick from the back of the net. Although Hearts were rarely seen in attack they still retained that lead at the interval.

John Clark, later voted Man of the Match, won the game for United with two headed goals. First he headed in a Richard Gough cross, and then John Clark promptly repeated the feat a few minutes later, this time from a Paul Hegarty cross.

Narey and Bowman sent off.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet