Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Celtic

(After extra time)
League Cup - 4th Round
Wednesday, September 5th, 1984, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 21,182
Referee: Tommy Muirhead Stenhousemuir)
Mascot: Graeme McVeigh
Dundee Utd  Celtic

Paul Sturrock (61)
John Clark (93)
Alan McInally (83)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
David Hay

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Pat Bonner
Danny McGrain
Graeme Sinclair
Roy Aitken
Tom McAdam
Peter Grant
John Colquhoun
Paul McStay
Brian McClair
Tommy Burns
Frank McGarvey

John Clark
Stuart Beedie
Alan McInally
Willie McStay

Stuart Beedie for John Holt (38)
John Clark for Davie Dodds (86)
Alan McInally for John Colquhoun (74)

Paul Sturrock (117)
Graeme Sinclair (119)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 7 apps -
Paul Hegarty 468 apps63 goals
Dave Narey 512 apps35 goals
Richard Gough 162 apps19 goals
John Holt 294 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 137 apps4 goals
Ralph Milne 211 apps64 goals
Eamonn Bannon 249 apps64 goals
Billy Kirkwood 322 apps64 goals
Paul Sturrock 408 apps126 goals
Davie Dodds 288 apps123 goals
John Clark (sub) 25 apps2 goals
Stuart Beedie (sub) 6 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 39 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 50 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 33 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Clark (19 years 353 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 50 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 169 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


This was a gruelling cup-tie which had to go to extra time to determine an outright winner. Celtic probably enjoyed territorial advantage in normal time but it was; United who took the lead after 65 minutes.

The Celtic defence failed to clear and Eamonn Bannon free and Ralph Milne slipped the ball into the path of the unmarked Paul Sturrock who scored easily.

United held that lead until seven minutes from time when Paul McStay worked his way into the box and his cross was driven in by substitute Alan McInally.

So on to extra time, and the decisive goal came just two minutes into the additional period, substitute John Clark finishing off a Ralph Milne-Paul Sturrock move to take United into their sixth successive League Cup semi-final.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet