Dundee Utd 5 - 0 Forfar Athletic

League Cup - 2nd Round
Tuesday, August 21st, 1984, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,337
Referee: Hugh Young (Bellshill)
Mascot: Glen Anderson
Dundee Utd  Forfar Athletic

Paul Sturrock (43)
John Reilly (63)
Stuart Beedie (65)
Stuart Beedie (70)
Eamonn Bannon (pen.) (80)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Doug Houston

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
John Reilly
Billy Kirkwood
Paul Sturrock
Stuart Beedie
Stewart Kennedy
Ray Lorimer
Ian McPhee
Rab Morris
Alex Brash
John Weir
Jim Liddle
Ray Farningham
Billy Gallacher
Gordon Scott
Kenny MacDonald

John Holt
Tommy Coyne
Gary Murray
Billy Bennett

John Holt for Stuart Beedie (78)
Tommy Coyne for Paul Sturrock (85)
Gary Murray for Kenny MacDonald (46)
Billy Bennett for Billy Gallacher (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 3 apps -
Dave Narey 508 apps35 goals
Richard Gough 158 apps19 goals
Maurice Malpas 133 apps4 goals
Paul Hegarty 464 apps63 goals
Ralph Milne 207 apps62 goals
Eamonn Bannon 245 apps64 goals
John Reilly 66 apps23 goals
Billy Kirkwood 318 apps64 goals
Paul Sturrock 404 apps125 goals
Stuart Beedie 2 apps3 goals
John Holt (sub) 290 apps23 goals
Tommy Coyne (sub) 23 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (22 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 35 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 143 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Tommy Coyne (21 years 286 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (30 years 35 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 108 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


After last week's fright against Brechin City in the Forfarshire Cup, United ensured that there was no repeat against their County neighbours.

It wasn't as easy as the scoreline may suggest. Chances came and went and it wasn't until the 43rd minute that United eventually made the breakthrough. A Bannon throw to Ralph Milne was played in to Paul Sturrock. Luggy turned the Forfar defence before sending a shot well wide of Kennedy.

Only when John Reilly neatly headed in a second from a Ralph Milne cross in the 63rd minute could United breathe easily. From then on the football flowed and further goals followed quickly. Two minutes later, Paul Sturrock chipped the ball in to Stuart Beedie who controlled it, shrugged off a defender's challenge before sweeping the ball past Kennedy. Five minutes later, Ralph Milne played an Eamonn Bannon pass to Stuart Beedie, who netted from close-in. The final goal came from the spot when Eamonn Bannon netted after Ralph Milne had been tripped by Kennedy.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet