Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Hibernian

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 9th, 2005, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 27,271
Referee: Mike McCurry
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Jim McIntyre (73)
Jason Scotland (76)
Derek Riordan (pen.) (58)

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Tony Mowbray

Starting Eleven
Tony Bullock
Paul Ritchie
Garry Kenneth
Stuart Duff
Alan Archibald
Mark Wilson
Barry Robson
Derek McInnes
Grant Brebner
Stevie Crawford
Jim McIntyre
Simon Brown
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Gary Smith
David Murphy
Steven Fletcher
Scott Brown
Stephen Glass
Dean Shiels
Garry O'Connor
Derek Riordan

Nick Colgan
Mark Kerr
Jason Scotland
James Grady
Collin Samuel
Alister Brown
Kevin Thomson
Ivan Sproule
Sam Morrow
Ian Murray

Jason Scotland for Stuart Duff (63)
Mark Kerr for Derek McInnes (66)
Collin Samuel for Stevie Crawford (69)
Kevin Thomson for David Murphy (58)
Ivan Sproule for Dean Shiels (67)
Sam Morrow for Derek Riordan (78)

Paul Ritchie
Jim McIntyre
Simon Brown

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Tony Bullock (GK) 30 apps -
Mark Wilson 105 apps10 goals
Paul Ritchie 24 apps -
Garry Kenneth 6 apps -
Stuart Duff 91 apps2 goals
Alan Archibald 80 apps6 goals
Barry Robson 66 apps9 goals
Derek McInnes 66 apps2 goals
Grant Brebner 32 apps1 goal
Stevie Crawford 15 apps4 goals
Jim McIntyre 128 apps40 goals
Mark Kerr (sub) 64 apps3 goals
Jason Scotland (sub) 55 apps10 goals
Collin Samuel (sub) 48 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Garry Kenneth (17 years 297 days)
Oldest Player:Derek McInnes (33 years 287 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 226 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Garry Kenneth (17 years 297 days)
Oldest Player:James Grady (34 years 35 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 237 days
Domestic Players:12 (75.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Jason Scotland reached 10 goals for the Club.

Derek McInnes and Grant Brebner were reinstated to the starting line-up as Gordon Chisholm sought to make right last week’s last minute defeat at the hands of today’s opponents. Much was made of the superior numbers of Hibees that would be at Hampden but once again, the Arab support had a great day, outsinging their Leith counterparts throughout the 90 minutes and inspiring their team to a memorable Result.

Tony Mowbray’s team dominated the opening exchanges and in 10 minutes, Riordan blazed over when he should at least have hit the target. United started to show that they were not there to make up the numbers and good interplay on the right between Wilson and Duff allowed Stevie Crawford to cross but the ball was cleared at the back post to prevent the onrushing Robson from testing the keeper. United had a shout for a penalty on the half hour when a Robson cross seemed to come off a defender’s arm and from the resulting break, O’Connor went down easily under a challenge from Ritchie that saw the defender booked.

The restart saw United take a grip of the opening encounters and a goalward Robson effort from the edge of the box was blocked with the Hibs defender having little idea as to what an important intervention he had made. Hibs then took the lead that their possession had probably merited but again United felt aggrieved when Robson was judged to have impeded Shiels in the box. The referee, in line with the rest of his afternoon, was having none of the protests and Riordan sent Bullock the wrong way from the spot. The Hibs support awoke at being ahead but was soon to be well and truly silenced by a remarkable turnaround in the last 20 minutes. United equalised with a great move that saw Kerr play in Barry Robson whose shot cum cross was side footed home from 5 yards by Jim McIntyre. United continued their ascendancy and looked nothing like that side that allowed Hibs to dominate the first hour of the match. McIntyre and Samuel both went close with Hibs being reduced to long balls into the United box. United had the game by the scruff of the neck Jason Scotland rifled home from 25 yards. It looked as though there was only going to be one winner as United continued to press forward and the Hibs defence struggled to cope. Barry Robson struck the bar direct from a corner as United finished the game in style! By the time that the referee had blown his whistle after the three minutes of added time, the Hibees were on their way home and the Arabs were dancing for joy.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet