Dundee Utd 4 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,661
Referee: Kenny Clark
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Alan Archibald (19)
James Grady (29)
Stevie Crawford (41)
James Grady (47)
Richie Byrne (33)

Team Managers
Ian McCall
Jimmy Calderwood

Starting Eleven
Tony Bullock
Stuart Duff
Alan Archibald
Paul Ritchie
Mark Wilson
Mark Kerr
Barry Robson
Grant Brebner
Stevie Crawford
James Grady
Jason Scotland
Ryan Esson
Michael Hart
Russell Anderson
Zander Diamond
Richie Byrne
Kevin McNaughton
Markus Heikkinen
Jamie Winter
Chris Clark
Darren Mackie
Noel Whelan

Nick Colgan
Garry Kenneth
Greg Cameron
Collin Samuel
Billy Dodds
James Blanchard
Phil McGuire
Ricky Foster
John Stewart
Scott Morrison

Collin Samuel for Jason Scotland (63)
Greg Cameron for Mark Kerr (87)
Ricky Foster for Markus Heikkinen (27)
John Stewart for Chris Clark (51)
Scott Morrison for Richie Byrne (75)

Grant Brebner
Russell Anderson
Zander Diamond

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Tony Bullock (GK) 24 apps -
Stuart Duff 85 apps2 goals
Alan Archibald 74 apps6 goals
Mark Wilson 99 apps10 goals
Paul Ritchie 19 apps -
Mark Kerr 59 apps3 goals
Barry Robson 60 apps8 goals
Grant Brebner 27 apps1 goal
Stevie Crawford 9 apps4 goals
James Grady 25 apps5 goals
Jason Scotland 49 apps7 goals
Greg Cameron (sub) 2 apps -
Collin Samuel (sub) 45 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mark Wilson (20 years 272 days)
Oldest Player:James Grady (33 years 359 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 147 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Greg Cameron (16 years 327 days)
Oldest Player:Billy Dodds (36 years 31 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 253 days
Domestic Players:12 (75.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


With injuries to the unfortunate Lee Mair and Jim McIntyre, there was a recall to the starting line-up for Jason Scotland and Grant Brebner. United manager Ian McCall resisted the temptation of starting with either of his youngsters, Kenneth and Cameron, instead moving the experienced Stuart Duff back into the defence. The youngsters were on the bench together with Billy Dodds, Collin Samuel and Nick Colgan. Aberdeen, cheered on by a huge travelling support, lined up in their familiar formation.

The game started at a very fast pace and after two minutes Aberdeen won the first corner of the afternoon. The resulting kick found the head of the towering Richie Byrne who headed wide off the post. On the 20 minute mark United did take the lead. Russell Anderson was booked for a foul on Robson, and from the free kick taken by Robson himself, Stevie Crawford had his volley cleared off the line by Byrne. The ball landed at the feet of Alan Archibald who slotted the ball home. On the half hour mark United deservedly doubled their lead. A Wilson cross was headed against the bar by Barry Robson. The ball fell at the feet of James Grady who could not fail to score. Three minutes later the visitors handed themselves a lifeline. A Jamie Winter cross to the back post was blasted past Bullock by Ritchie Byrne to send the travelling fans wild. It was United though who were the far superior side and after 42 minutes they again gave themselves a two goal cushion. Jason Scotland played a perfect through ball to Stevie Crawford who raced in on goal and finished low past the helpless Esson.

Amazingly, despite holding a 3-1 advantage, it was United who came out at the start of the second half the more eager of the two sides. After two minutes of the restart they put the game beyond their visitors. Stevie Crawford cut in from the right hand side and played the ball to Grady who teed himself up and smashed home a volley from the edge of the 18-yard box. The goal is a definite candidate for goal of the season. Tony Bullock made his first mistake of the day but his reliable defence came to his rescue and cleared to safety. Collin Samuel was looking very impressive on his return to the side and on two more occasions went close. Firstly a good run down the right hand side was charged down before he brilliantly beat the offside trap only to see his shot saved by Esson. At the full time whistle it was very obvious to see what the result meant to the home players and their supporters.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet