Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Hibernian

(After extra time)
League Cup - Quarter Final
Tuesday, November 9th, 2004, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 4,865
Referee: John Rowbotham
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Jim McIntyre (87)
Jim McIntyre (107)
Derek Riordan (31)

Team Managers
Ian McCall
Tony Mowbray

Starting Eleven
Paul Jarvie
Paul Ritchie
Alan Archibald
Chris Innes
Mark Wilson
Derek McInnes
Grant Brebner
Barry Robson
Collin Samuel
Jason Scotland
Jim McIntyre
Simon Brown
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Colin Murdock
Ian Murray
Dean Shiels
Craig Rocastle
Guillaume Beuzelin
Stephen Glass
Derek Riordan
Sam Morrow

Lars Hirschfeld
David McCracken
Mark Kerr
Billy Dodds
James Grady
Alister Brown
Gary Smith
Steven Fletcher
Stephen Dobbie
Jay Shields

James Grady for Jason Scotland (65)
Billy Dodds for Collin Samuel (70)
David McCracken for Grant Brebner (82)
Steven Fletcher for Sam Morrow (18)
Stephen Dobbie for Riordan (82)
Jay Shields for Dean Shiels (86)

Barry Robson
Jason Scotland
Paul Ritchie
Derek McInnes
Jay Shields

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Paul Jarvie (GK) 8 apps -
Mark Wilson 83 apps8 goals
Paul Ritchie 3 apps -
Alan Archibald 57 apps4 goals
Chris Innes 47 apps3 goals
Derek McInnes 51 apps2 goals
Grant Brebner 12 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 45 apps5 goals
Collin Samuel 38 apps2 goals
Jason Scotland 36 apps5 goals
Jim McIntyre 108 apps32 goals
David McCracken (sub) 115 apps3 goals
Billy Dodds (sub) 120 apps41 goals
James Grady (sub) 13 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mark Wilson (20 years 162 days)
Oldest Player:Derek McInnes (33 years 136 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 304 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Mark Wilson (20 years 162 days)
Oldest Player:Billy Dodds (35 years 286 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 103 days
Domestic Players:13 (81.25 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Ian McCall was forced to make one change to his side that lost in such dramatic fashion at Dens. Karim Kerkar, who had played for Clyde in a previous round, was ineligible and therefore striker Jim McIntyre came back into the side to partner Jason Scotland in attack. The United bench looked very strong with veterans Billy Dodds and James Grady waiting in the wings. Last seasonís beaten finalists Hibs were looking to progress in order to go one better than last year.

The first piece of action took place after only two minutes when Collin Samuel, who was playing in midfield on the night, collected the ball inside the Hibs half and unleashed a shot that went well wide off goal. A long ball over the top of the United defence was then gathered by the impressive Riordan who was subsequently fouled by Unitedís Paul Ritchie. Riordanís free kick that followed was headed over the crossbar by Colin Murdock, who was then spoken to by the referee for appealing for a corner kick. It was then Stephen Glass who tried his luck but his direct free kick was too high. On the half hour mark, Hibs took the lead. Dean Shielsís perfectly weighted pass was driven home by the right foot of Derek Riordan that left Jarvie with no chance. Within five minutes United had a great chance to equalise. The two Trinidadians linked up with Samuel laying on a fine ball to Scotland who miss-hit his shot wide off the post.

United came out in the second half shooting towards the East Stand looking to get themselves back into the tie. Barry Robson was a constant threat to the visitors and tried hard to break down the defence. With 20 minutes remaining Ian McCall threw on Billy Dodds for the tiring Collin Samuel. Hibs were next to create a chance when they forced a free kick on the edge of the United penalty area after Paul Ritchie had fouled Rocastle. DerekMcInnes was booked by the referee for charging from the wall before the kick was taken. United however cleared the ball from the danger area. Tony Mowbray then surprisingly took off Riordan who was replaced by Stephen Dobbie. After intense pressure United eventually forced themselves back into the tie. Mark Wilsonís free kick with three minutes left found Chris Innes in a great position. His shot was sliced but the ball landed at the feet of Jim McIntyre who scored to square the match.

The first period of extra time was played with very few talking points with both teams looking slightly apprehensive. Hibs did try several long-range efforts through Glass, Dobbie and Murray. Frenchman Beuzelin also went close for Tony Mowbrayís side. The second period of extra time was a different story and after only two minutes of the restart United were ahead. A great ball from Archibald found Billy Dodds on the left hand side of the Hibs penalty box and from his cross Jim McIntyre scored from close range. Hibs then mounted a challenge to get themselves back into the tie and Stephen Dobbie came within an inch of levelling when his drive had Jarvie beaten but the shot cleared the far post. Just before the whistle Caldwell squandered a great chance to set up a nerve-wracking penalty shoot out, but it was to be Unitedís night and in the end deservedly so.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet