Dundee 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

League - SPL
Saturday, November 6th, 2004, 3:00 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 9,845
Referee: Alan Freeland
Dundee Dundee Utd

John Sutton (86) None.

Team Managers
Jim Duffy Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
Kelvin Jack
Mark McNally
Brent Sancho
Tom Hutchinson
Stevie Robb
Calum McDonald
Barry Smith
Mark Fotheringham
Iain Anderson
Steve Lovell
Fabian Caballero
Paul Jarvie
Chris Innes
Paul Ritchie
Alan Archibald
Mark Wilson
Barry Robson
Karim Kerkar
Derek McInnes
Grant Brebner
Collin Samuel
Jason Scotland

Derek Soutar
Garry Brady
John Sutton
Neil Jablonski
Bobby Mann
Chris Hegarty
Glenn Atle Larsen
Lars Hirschfeld
Stuart Duff
David McCracken
David Robertson
Greg Cameron
James Grady
Jim McIntyre

Derek Souter for Kelvin Jack (30)
Garry Brady for Stevie Robb (44)
John Sutton for Fabian Caballero (79)
David McCracken for Karim Kerkar (57)
Stuart Duff for Collin Samuel (65)
James Grady for Jason Scotland (77)

Kelvin Jack (7)
Steve Lovell (34)
Grant Brebner (14)
Paul Ritchie (54)
Derek McInnes (83)

Red Cards
None. Chris Innes (55)
Mark Wilson (59)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Paul Jarvie (GK) 7 apps -
Chris Innes 46 apps3 goals
Mark Wilson 82 apps8 goals
Paul Ritchie 2 apps -
Alan Archibald 56 apps4 goals
Barry Robson 44 apps5 goals
Karim Kerkar 6 apps -
Derek McInnes 50 apps2 goals
Grant Brebner 11 apps1 goal
Collin Samuel 37 apps2 goals
Jason Scotland 35 apps5 goals
Stuart Duff (sub) 76 apps -
David McCracken (sub) 114 apps3 goals
James Grady (sub) 12 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mark Wilson (20 years 159 days)
Oldest Player:Derek McInnes (33 years 133 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 148 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Greg Cameron (16 years 214 days)
Oldest Player:James Grady (33 years 246 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 269 days
Domestic Players:14 (77.78 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Derek McInnes played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

Dundee United travelled across the road today looking to earn bragging rights from the second Dundee derby of the season. The atmosphere inside Dens had all the characteristics of a derby match after a week of apathy amongst the fans. United lined up with Jarvie in goal and Wilson, Innes, Ritchie and Archibald across the back. The midfield saw Robson, McInnes, Brebner and Kerkar man the battleground and up front Samuel partnered Scotland. On the bench were Hirschfield, McCracken, McIntyre, Duff, Grady, Robertson and Cameron.

The first half was all United, with Dundee failing to hold on to the ball at any time for more than five seconds. United looked dangerous, especially with Scotland who missed a glorious chance in the 4th minute when Robson’s cross from the right saw him unmarked 7 yards out but, to the dismay of the tangerine army behind the Dundee goal, he headed wide. United continued to make all the running and Samuel was next to almost snatch the lead when a goalmouth scene ensued after his effort had been blocked. United also went close with a Wilson effort and Robson had an effort blocked by Sancho. Archibald was another whose goal bound effort was stopped by the big Trinidadian. After a first half in which total control is not too strong a phrase to use, Ian McCall would have been unhappy that the team hadn’t gone in ahead.

United started the second half with an unchanged first eleven. Dundee had the best of the early second half efforts and Lovell went close on a few occasions before the game turned on its head with the sending-off of Innes for a professional foul on Lovell. Within a few minutes United were reduced to nine men when Wilson was adjudged to have handled a through ball. It had appeared that the ball had been headered clear but on the advice of the Assistant, Referee Freeland dismissed Wilson. This effectively cost United any chance of winning the game, but the 9 men battled the game fully until the 86th minute when a Sutton header squirmed over the line through the legs of Jarvie. In the 89th minute a mix-up in the Dundee defence almost gifted United an equaliser but Soutar saved Sancho’s knockback at full stretch. In the first minute of injury time Duff’s cross was clutched off the head of McCracken by Soutar. In the final minute the ball landed at the feet of Archibald 20 yards out and his drive sailed over the bar.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet